Software for a new rMBP

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Qaanol, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Qaanol macrumors 6502a

I just got a new Haswell rMBP, the base 15″ model, I’m making a list of programs to install, and I’d appreciate any input you may have.

Productivity
    Xcode
    LibreOffice
    Numbers
    Keynote
    Pages
    TextWrangler
    (some kind of TeX renderer…)

Utilities
    BetterTouchTool
    TinkerTool (I might wait until it’s updated for Mavericks)
    DiskAid
    iPhone Configuration Utility
    DejaMenu
    Ukelele 2 (to finish updating my keyboard layout…)
    Symbolic Linker
    The Unarchiver
    smcfancontrol (actually maybe not, I don’t need it)
    (a resolution switcher, maybe RDM or QuickRes, I might try SwitchResX, anyone have experience with Pupil?)

Audio-Visual
    The GIMP
    Pixelmator (I might wait on this and see if GIMP is enough)
    Boom
    VLC
    QuickTime 7
    (items below this line I may not actually install since I don’t really need them)
    Audacity
    cfxr
    Atom Inspector
    Subler
    Handbrake
    libdvdcss

I don’t really play any computer games, so that’s an empty category.

Anyone have recommendations for a TeX package, a resolution switcher, or any other neat programs I might not be aware of?

2. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

If you're doing any photography yen a digital asset manager like Aperture or Lightroom is recommended. Managing photos in a folder structure is archaic.

3. Raima macrumors 6502

You're going the wrong way about it. You'll only end up with useless software on your machine taking up space, and slowing the computer down.

A computer is only a tool that helps you complete a certain task.

The question you should be asking is, what problem do you have that the computer can solve? and what software is required to solve that problem?

4. rfle500 macrumors newbie

TeXshop is really nice for latex documents, and includes XeLateX for extra prettiness

5. Qaanol thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, it’s good to know this exists in case I find myself needing it.

I am strictly an amateur when it comes to taking pictures. I just have my iPhone as a camera. That said, I’ll certainly keep your suggestion in mind if I find my basic folder structure becoming unwieldy.

Thanks for the recommendation. I found a lot of different TeX programs, so I’ll try this one first.

Say, does anyone have input on available versions of the GIMP? I have seen three different ones:

2.9 (experimental build) from http://www.partha.com/
    2.8.6 (with extra plug-ins) from http://gimp.lisanet.de/
    2.8.4 (stock) from http://www.gimp.org/downloads/?

How silly of me. Here I was thinking, “Maybe if I post some examples of the programs I intend to use, that will give people an idea what sorts of programs might interest me, and they can tailor their recommendations accordingly.”

Now I see the error of my ways. The only reasonable approach would have been for me to already know a priori the name of every program I might possibly want, and for me to already have extensive experience with each of them so I could determine which would best fit my needs. Seriously, asking for input from other people, what possible use could that ever be? I am glad you were here to set me straight.

6. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

It's a Qaanol. Hello there. I hear RDM.app is pretty good for resolution switching.

7. BinaryTim macrumors member

A must-have, IMO

If you have more than 2 or 3 web logins (bank, email, forums, etc.) then I use, and strongly recommend, 1Password from http://www.agilebits.com

I make all my passwords very long and unmemorizable, and the only way I could ever keep them organized, and secure, is with 1Password. It is available for Mac, Windows, iOS, and Android, so synchronizing your passwords between devices (with Dropbox) is a breeze.

As you know, using the same password for all your web account logins is a really, really bad idea. This application will make your life so much easier (and safer). Some people complain about the price, but it is SO worth it in my opinion.

You can buy it from the Mac App Store, or directly from the Agile Bits website store. I recommend purchasing directly from AgileBits for four reasons.

1. The developer makes a little more $ (doesn't have to pay Apple 30%).

2. If you buy the Family Pack license you can install it on any/all computers of up to 5 USERS living in your household without having to have your iTunes ID setup on each computer (as you would if purchasing through the MAS). Each user needs a license, but can use their license on as many computers as they have.

3. If you have a mix of Mac & Windows systems in your home, get the Mac+Windows Bundle, Individual or Family License versions, see licensing details here. Because the Windows license is not available when purchasing through the Mac App Store.

4. You are eligible for discounts on future upgrades.

They also have a 30 day trial version you can download from their website. Give it a try, I think you'll really like it, too.

8. caughtinfire macrumors member

caughtinfire

If you tend to work with multiple windows open, Divvy is a neat tool that lets you set keyboard shortcuts to resize and send windows to preset screen positions, similar to Windows' snap feature but way more customizable. I have to do a lot of comparing files and copying back and forth between web sites and documents and it's super helpful.