Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
Well I am getting back into working with websites and I purchased a new domain and hosting but I am now looking for software for my website, I want something that will allow me to upload pictures and organize them into folders, I do like SimpleViewer, but it doesn't allow you to title the images or organize them at all :(.

I also want a simple home page with a very very simple blog, I was looking into wordpress for this but it seems to be overkill for what I am looking for, I don't need any add-ons, multiple users, categories, or anything like that.

So really all I need for the website is

A homepage with a simple news feed, an about me page, and some type of portfolio.

Do you guys have any suggestions for software?

If something is not a perfect match for what I am asking I can handle editing the coding, I am just not at the level to write the code from the ground up.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
I would use something like smugmug. The "Pro" packages allow you to customize your portfolio and produce a nice looking gallery that I believe you can tie to your domain. For the blog you could install Wordpress.

I have had a smugmug account for 3 years now- it's great. Fast customer support and a reasonable price. They also have backup options. If you decide to join, PM me and by putting me as a referral you save $5 on the first year.

mac-convert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2006
Are we there yet?
Hi. Take a look at ZenPhoto - it's not bloated like some of the other packages and works well. I just installed this for a client and he really likes it. It has a good admin backend, and there are a few different skins for it. You can also roll your own with a bit of customization work. And it's free. Your hosting company may have it available for installation.

This is not an endorsement for the product, I just happen to like it.

Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
wow zenphoto is awesome, thanks for that link, I think I am just going to go with wordpress with a simple theme and zenphoto.

Thanks guys

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.