Software for a Switcher

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bay2sacto, Jan 8, 2009.

1. bay2sacto macrumors member

Hi all! I'm looking for OSX software to replace what I used to use on windows. I have Dreamweaver but I used to use TopStyle for my css editing and am looking for a (free?) comparable mac software. I'm aware of Coda and Have used BBedit in the (way) past. Coda seems really nice but being broke I'm trying to see if there is good css/txt editor out there. I also used to use the excellent notepad ++

Also I haven't gotten around to trying iPhoto yet. I did use Picasa 3 on Windows a bit. Wasn't a heavy user but did like it for simple stuff. I've downloaded Picasa for mac but haven't installed it yet. Don't know if I should wait for iPhoto '09 or if there is a better DAM out there. As I am also a designer I would like to find a good DAm for my professional work. DOn't know how well iPhoto works for that. I have Lightroom 2 installed but haven't had a chance to fully give it a go. I have several hundred photos from a trip last year I have yet to go through.

Thanks.

2. reclusivemonkey macrumors 6502

reclusivemonkey

3. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You're not broke if you have food to eat. Stop buying groceries and you can buy Coda fairly soon. It's far more important than food.

Buy Aperture, too. It's absolutely fantastic. I do wish they'd stop adding features to iPhoto first and Aperture second, though. Final Cut is still ahead of iMovie, and yet they can't keep Aperture moving? Come on.

4. madog macrumors 65816

madog

That's because they know Lightroom is so much better!

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You know, I've never actually looked at Lightroom. Maybe I should do that sometime... but I love Aperture so much, I don't see that changing.

6. bay2sacto thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I'll check it out. The logo looks familiar, I think I may have read about it somewhere before. I think it'll make a good notepad ++ replacement. Coda seems really nice from the trial version. Nothing really even close on the Windows side. I dare say it beats Dreamweaver.
    Indeed ;) Actually I've never used Aperture so I don't know how good/bad it is. Though after the bad launch of the 1.0 version I never really looked at it. Plus Lightroom fits much better into my Adobe CS centric workflow.

7. reclusivemonkey macrumors 6502

reclusivemonkey

Coda is superb, I bought that even thought I do very little web work. The auto completion is implemented brilliantly. You can't really compare it to Dreamweaver, as it doesn't do WYSIWYG, but IMHO if you are serious about web design you want to steer well clear of WYSIWYG.

If you do a lot of web work, I would start to save up for Coda.

8. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You know, as a designer, I have to say I would love to use a WYSIWYG editor and pretend the backend didn't exist at all. Unfortunately, WYS really isn't always WYG, especially thanks to Internet Explorer, so we're stuck with hand-coding everything, which I kind of despise. Oh well, such is life.

9. bay2sacto thread starter macrumors member

Yeah. I started off learning HTML by hand in the 3.2/4.01 days, then went towards dreamweaver to save time. Now I'm swinging back towards hand coding. I find I work in code view more often in DW ne ways. Coda seems to be a dream for this. Plus with the ability to preview & FTP in Coda makes it more of a DW replacement than just text editor. I think the closest competitor on Windows is TopStyle.

10. Ghil macrumors newbie

Coda is superb, but you can try Espresso too. It gives a good vibe, is still in beta, and does things differently :)