Software for editing video and burning to DVD?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by JPM, Jun 18, 2008.

1. JPM macrumors member

Hi everyone,

I've been searching through the forums here and Google, but can't seem to find out what software I need to do the following:

Take an .m2t file (MPEG2 Transport Stream, I believe) that I have extracted from my PVR, convert it to something editable (preferably without any re-encoding), do some minor edits (removing the commercials and the like) and then either save it as something iTunes and :apple:TV can read or burn it to DVD.

The catch is the .m2t is in high-def and 5.1 audio. I don't want to lose the 5.1 when burning to DVD or the high-def resolution and 5.1 if I keep it for itunes.

From what I've read, it seems mpegstreamclip can do the first part, and convert the .m2t into a plain MPEG2 file, but that's as far as I get. I'm pretty sure iMovie and iDVD can't do the rest. Final Cut Studio, which I think can, is out of my price range.

If anyone can point me to a thread/post/article or just plain tell me what I need, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

2. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

MPEG Stream Clip should be able to convert it to whatever format you want, in this case an HDV Quicktime movie. iMovie can open that and iDVD can burn it (though it will be downsampled to standard def for the DVD).

I don't know that you'll be able to preserve the 5.1 audio for the DVD though with iDVD. DVD Studio Pro can do it, but that's part of the FCS you mentioned.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

iMovie will edit any video format for which you have a compatible QuickTime codec. iDVD will burn DVDs up to two hours in length.