Software for Headphones?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by PcBgone, Jun 13, 2008.

1. PcBgone macrumors 6502

PcBgone

Im in a situation where I would like to leave my headphones plugged up to the back of my iMac as I will use them on a regular basis. But once they are plugged in the speakers are automatically muted.

Is there a way in OS X, or any software that would allow me to leave my headphones plugged up, and to have sound come from the speakers when I choose? My Imac sits up on my desk, up against my wall. Its a hassle to reach over the desk, and move the imac so I can see where to plug the headphones in.

Thanks for any help!
    Tony

2. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

http://www.rogueamoeba.com/freebies/

Will SoundSource or LineIn acheive what you are after?

I havn't used these apps, but they seem to allow you to choose your line in/line out by software.

They are free too, so thats always nice :)

3. PcBgone thread starter macrumors 6502

PcBgone

You got my hopes up with sound source. I downloaded it and installed it, and was saddened that it wont allow you to switch between the internal speakers and the headphones.

It looks as though it would work if I had external speakers through usb....but I dont have any of that at this point..and wont for awhile until I can recoup the cash from the new Imac...

That was a good suggestion though, anyone else got anything?

4. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

i have a feeling that it's actually a hardware limitation, ie. plugging in the headphones physically overrides the internal speaker circutry.

sorry to get your hopes up before! as i said the apps looked the part, i just have never tried them :(

its strange though cause this article, seems to imply that the app does what you require.

5. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

6. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

if you can't do it through software, the next best thing might be to get a male-female headphone cable extender from radioshack so it's easier to plug and unplug your headphones

7. PcBgone thread starter macrumors 6502

PcBgone

Im beginning to think its a hardware issue as well. Sound source looks as though it would work, however, I cant switch between internal speakers and headphones. When I have the headphones plugged in, it recognizes the headphones, and wont allow a switch to internal speakers.

I may end up getting the Imic at a later time. Unless I get some usb speakers, which I may do....

Thanks for the help though!