Software for kids 3+ (iBook G3)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Alaerian, May 12, 2011.

1. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

I am looking for some software recommendations for children aged 3+. I would like to introduce my nephew to computers with some educational software. He's becoming fairly proficient with several iPad apps I have found geared towards children, and I'd like to get him started with a computer.

This is for an iBook G3 that I picked up recently, and is a fairly decent tool for him (and my parents) to learn on.

Just to put it out there and cut off the debate before it begins, I did not buy him a MacBook Pro, an iMac, an iPod, or an iPhone. He's 3. The iBook will NOT be connected to the internet (he can't even read yet, nor does he need internet access). The iBook stays with me, and he'll be allowed to use it when I see him. I would like to get him started, and I know there is some good educational software out there that he could learn from.

Any recommendations?

I'm specifically looking for software that encourages counting, learning letters, reading, puzzles, colors, etc (See Monkey Puzzle Lunchbox for iPad/iPhone as an example). He loves Disney (Toy Story, Cars, Mickey Mouse, etc), monster trucks, tractors, cars, Scooby Doo, baseball, football, and anything else that little boys like.

2. Cougarcat macrumors 604

is the iBook running OS 9 or OS X?

As a kid I loved playing Humongous Entertainment's adventure games (especially Pajama Sam and Spyfox, though I think those series are for older kids.) Humongous was founded by Ron Gilbert of Monkey Island fame, so the games are all extremely well done.

You'd have to track down used copies, though. They are OS 9 / Windows hybrid disks. If you're using OS X, they're SCUMM games so they should run in SCUMMVM.

3. Alaerian thread starter Guest

Alaerian