Software for managing quotes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Amafortas, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Amafortas macrumors newbie

Hello all,

Let me begin by posing the problem I'm trying to solve: I need to be able to cull and store many quotes from many different texts and annotate/tag those quotes so that I can find the ones I'm looking for later. However, I also need to have the quotes grouped by the text they come from.

I'm aquatinted with Journler, Mac Journal, Curio, Notebook and DevonThink. I've found these applications useful for taking notes on a particular text, I've not found them useful for the sort of cross-indexing I need.

I suspect someone else has run into a similar problem and has worked out a solution. If you have, would you mind offer me some recommendations about which piece of software to use and how best to do so?

Thanks for all your time,

~A

2. exegete77 macrumors 6502a

Howdy, I think DevonThink Pro would do what you want, and it is in beta for version 2. I haven’t used it, but many people on other boards say it is great for this kind of thing, helped by the new sorter. Here is a link to help you consider the benefits of DTP, or Together, or Leap.

3. Amafortas thread starter macrumors newbie

Leap

Thanks for mentioning Leap. It looks like quite an interesting product. Not quite the solution for the problem at hand. Creating one file per quote seems a bit overkill, but an interesting idea to be sure.

Have a good one,

~A

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

A little off the wall but Bento should be able to do this easily.

5. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I was going to suggest this. I'm in the process of starting a business and Bento so far has been great for lots of things, from stock management to order tracking to invoices. Well worth the £29.99 if you ask me.

Plus it has the advantage of an easy upgrade path to Filemaker Pro if you ever outgrow its feature set (which is admittedly likely if your business becomes successful).