Software for Multiple External Hard Drive Back-Ups?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MikeJayce, Jul 23, 2012.

1. MikeJayce macrumors newbie

Jul 23, 2012
    I'm in the process of upgrading to a Retina MBP, and with the 256 GB hard drive, I'm going to have to make an effort to focus on using a couple of external drives as part of my normal workflow.

Until T-bolt externals come down in price, I'm going to go with a couple of USB 3.0 capable 3 TB externals.

My question is: Are there any programs out there that will automatically copy files to the 2nd external after I move files onto the first? Ideally, I will only work with files on one of them, with the changes being backed up to the 2nd automatically.

Any input is appreciated.
  2. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Aug 9, 2009
    Portland, OR
    You can set up Carbon Copy Cloner to automtically sync the first drive to the second. Hence... as you make changes to your #1 external... CCC will apply the updates to your #2 external. You can set that up as an scheduled update, or to update when the 2nd drive is attached.

I would consider buying external drives with replaceable interfaces. Hence, if you feel the need at some point to move your drive to TB... you can just change the interface. I have a 3TB Seagate GoFlex Desk that I use. I bought the $189 TB base, and use it as a TB drive when connected to a TB computer. Other times, it can be FW800, USB 2.0, or USB 3.0 depending upon the capabilities of the computer.

3. definitive macrumors 68000

Aug 4, 2008
    Do you know of any links to tutorials that explain how this syncing is done?
  4. robgendreau macrumors 68040

Jul 13, 2008
    Why not RAID? You could mirror one external to the other in essence.
  5. yoak macrumors 65816

Oct 4, 2004
    Oslo, Norway
    Shotput Pro is $99 and will let you copy files to multiple hard drives at the same time. It will also do a sum check and verify that your files are copied successfully. A bit expensive, but a great time saver if you copy larger files a lot as I do with my RED camera footage