Software for podcasting?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by djsound, Aug 31, 2011.

1. djsound macrumors 6502a

djsound

Can anyone recommend software for podcasting? I just got Podcast Maker....I was going to record in garageband then do the other stuff with Podcast Maker....is that good? Also can anyone recommend software that lets me monitor how many people download the podcast??
    thanks

2. saberahul macrumors 68040

Audio or Video? I don't really do podcasting myself but for video iMovie seems to be a good bet. For audio, I'd say Garageband is all you need. Explain what you mean by "do the other stuff with..." What is this other stuff?

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I use Garageband all the time for my audio podcasts. It works great for me.

4. Futhark macrumors 65816

Futhark

Yeah I have to agree GarageBand is all you should need.

5. djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

Oh ya it is just audio....the "other stuff" is the xml file...so that people can subscribe in itunes I think.....I'd like to figure out how to monitor how many people subscribe though, or download.

6. Futhark macrumors 65816

Futhark

All I do is use Google Analytics, this doesn't guarantee the person has downloaded the podcast but they have clicked on the link to my podcast if this makes sense?

I uploaded my Analytics script into a folder called podcast and in that folder is the link to the podcast so for example www.mywebsite.com/podcast

Every time someone clicks on the podcast link now the Analytics does a FANTASTIC report for you saying how long they were there for? Where they accessed your link from? What OS they used? What keywords found your page etc.

I hope this may be of some use to you

7. djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

Ah ok. I've tried google analytics and thought it was a bit confusing. You have to upload a script? I thought I had read somewhere of something that can keep track of how many times a file is downloaded.....

8. Futhark macrumors 65816

Futhark

It's fantastic to use with loads of info, if you decide to try it and need help just message me.

I think there is software to count downloads but it's not something I've used before. Trying googling it and I'm sure it'll be covered there.

9. djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

Thanks futhark. I have a Statcounter on my site and I went in to check and it has a feature called "downloads". Imagine that! haha...anyways it lists how many times any file is downloaded. I think this will work just fine once the podcast file is on the server. Thanks...maybe that might help someone else too.

10. Futhark macrumors 65816

Futhark

Hahaha awesome !!! Give it a try and keep us posted on how you get on :)

11. fhaddad macrumors newbie

iWeb

Use iWeb, it is the best and you can actually upload it to iTunes in a click of a button. If you wish I can help you more

12. djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

I think you can upload the m4a right from Garageband...and its easy to add chapters and images etc.....and Podcast Maker is easy to use for the xml file