Software for resizing photos

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fredhargis, Apr 9, 2008.

1. fredhargis macrumors newbie

I participate in several forums where I often post pictures of things. But the photos have to normally be less than 100KB. I don't have any purchased photo editing software yet for my Mac, is there something in iPhoto or somewhere else that would allow me to resize a photo for posting? If there's nothing on my machine that will do it, does Aperture have such a function? TIA

2. krye macrumors 68000

krye

3. mackindergarten macrumors 6502

Hi,

if you're running Leopard, you can use the built-in Preview.app. Go to Tools > Adjust Size…

/Rupert

4. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

5. quest4apple macrumors member

iPhoto can resize images. If your photos are already in iPhoto, that is probably the easiest way.

To do it in iPhoto, select the images and then click on File -> Export. Select the "File Export" tab. After selecting JPG as the kind, you will need to play with the quality and size options to get what you want. I took a RAW image from my 6MP camera and set the export to High Quality and Medium Size and ended up with a 423 × 640 pixel image that was 104 KB.

6. RvMan56 macrumors member

RvMan56

Doesn't Aperture resize photo's?, I can't a button for it, I hope I didn't pay 200.00 and it don't.

7. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

Automator can be setup to resize groups of photos at once

Alternatively I'm sure someone who knows what they're doing can make an applescript droplet that will do the same thing. All you'd have to do then is place it in the dock, and drag photos and drop them in, it will re-size them all automatically.

8. Salmar macrumors regular

I believe this will do what you want. I use it and it works great. Give it a try:

http://pixizer.com/

9. Jeanne-W macrumors newbie

I'm new to Mac and was wanting to know this too. I tried it in both iphoto and preview as outlined in the posts above and both work great!!

I love these forums!

10. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

And I hope you didn't pay $200 just for the ability to resize photos.

In Aperture, go to File -> Export -> Version. You can choose a size under Export Preset, or choose a custom size by choosing the Edit option.