Software for simple GIF animated banners?

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by JohnHenry, Oct 5, 2009.

1. JohnHenry macrumors newbie

I need to control looping and delays on animated GIF banners that appear on my magazine website (www.audaud.com). I used to use GIFbuilder, which no longer works. I downloaded GIFfun but cannot get multiple frames with it and the develop offers no tech support. I have Elements 6 but no longer have Photoshop. I see some Amazon outlets sell ImageReady and am told that is the best for Mac, but I wonder if it is only for OS9 (as is my old copy of Photoshop 5.5) (I'm 10.5.8 on both Macs.) All the other banner aps I have found online turn out to be for PCs only! What are Mac users to do with Adobe no longer supporting ImageReady?

2. Buzz Bumble Guest

Fireworks is great, although I don't know if you can still get it or get it separately (my old copy came free with something else - DreamWeaver or GoLive?).

For bitmap / pixel animations you could try the GraphicConverter - I've had problems making animated GIFs in that under MacOS 9, but it might work better under Mac OS X and you can download it as a trial.

3. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Well there's always Photoshop.

4. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Photoshop

Photoshop can do essentially what ImageReady did now. I think. I wouldn't really know though because I keep ImageReadyCS around for all my animated GIFS:rolleyes:

5. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

6. bowzer macrumors 6502

bowzer

photoshop > view > animation

thats the same thing that was in imageready

there you go.

7. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

Indeed - ImageReady has been integrated into Photoshop - well some of it...

A while ago I wrote a tutorial for someone else here on MacRumors, maybe you might find it useful?

Let us know if you need a hand :)

/Doug

8. JohnHenry thread starter macrumors newbie

Ap to adjust banners

No one has told me for sure what version the various $55 sales of ImageReady at Amazon are. I'm thinking probably v.1 and thus would only work in OS9 - I have OSX. The version I had in Photoshop 5.5 would only work in OS9. So it looks like I'm out of luck using ImageReady at all unless I buy the whole new Photoshop ap, which I don't need.
    I think I may be able to use Graphic Converter and am getting some helpful answers from its developer which I failed to get from anyone else.

9. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

The ImageReady that came with CS2 works on OS X.