Resolved Software for very minor photo edits (i.e.: blurring license plate)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wineandcarbs, Jul 6, 2012.

1. wineandcarbs, Jul 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2012

wineandcarbs macrumors 6502a

Hi all,

I am looking for a software for very minor photo edits - for example, blurring license plates on a photo. I didn't like Pinta, but if you have any other recs, please let me know. TIA!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Preview allows some editing, while it may not blur, you can certainly use a thick black line

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You might want to try Seashore or Paintbrush
    Both are free I think

4. wineandcarbs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks! I just found (unless I'm doing it wrong) that I could only make it a straight box? So if the car was at an angle....the box would look weird? That's probably just me being overly picky. ;)

----------

Thanks! :) I'll check them out.

5. Fuith macrumors member

6. wineandcarbs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you everyone! I really appreciate the quick feedback and suggestions.

7. snberk103 macrumors 603

Just a couple more suggestions - both potentially free.

If you have Pages... you can create a box, size it and angle it to the angle of the plate and then fill with the same colour of the plate. Less obvious than thick black line. You can also adjust the opacity to "blur" the plate instead of just obliterating. Save as a PDF, which you can open in Preview and save as a JPG, TIF, PNG, etc. This works for the occasional edit, as it's a bit cumbersome... but if you have Pages already it's free.

If you already have Lightroom 4, use the localized editing brush and "brush" the plate. Then play with the clarity and exposure sliders to get the look you want. If you only need to do a limited number, then you can use the trial version of Lr for 30 days for free.