• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

wineandcarbs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2008
Hi all,

I am looking for a software for very minor photo edits - for example, blurring license plates on a photo. I didn't like Pinta, but if you have any other recs, please let me know. TIA!

Last edited:

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Preview allows some editing, while it may not blur, you can certainly use a thick black line

Comment

wineandcarbs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2008
Preview allows some editing, while it may not blur, you can certainly use a thick black line

Thanks! I just found (unless I'm doing it wrong) that I could only make it a straight box? So if the car was at an angle....the box would look weird? That's probably just me being overly picky. ;)

----------

You might want to try Seashore or Paintbrush
Both are free I think

Thanks! :) I'll check them out.

Comment

wineandcarbs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2008
Thank you everyone! I really appreciate the quick feedback and suggestions.

Comment

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Just a couple more suggestions - both potentially free.

If you have Pages... you can create a box, size it and angle it to the angle of the plate and then fill with the same colour of the plate. Less obvious than thick black line. You can also adjust the opacity to "blur" the plate instead of just obliterating. Save as a PDF, which you can open in Preview and save as a JPG, TIF, PNG, etc. This works for the occasional edit, as it's a bit cumbersome... but if you have Pages already it's free.

If you already have Lightroom 4, use the localized editing brush and "brush" the plate. Then play with the clarity and exposure sliders to get the look you want. If you only need to do a limited number, then you can use the trial version of Lr for 30 days for free.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.