Software for writing with macs - different to PCs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by newworld, Jul 19, 2010.

1. newworld macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I'm new to macs, and am struggling a little more than before on a pc with the writing software programs such as microsoft word for mac or iwork. Most of the formatting boxes are hidden, and the writing and editing process does not flow as before. Is there a way around this?:confused:

2. exegete77 macrumors 6502a

Howdy and welcome to the world of Mac. Having used Windows and Macs for 20 years, overall I find the writing environment on the Mac far superior to the Windows side. So, let's take a look

What exactly are you referring to?

What was your "flow" prior to the Mac? Writing is straight-forward. Editing can refer to your own or to someone else editing your work.

3. newworld thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

Guess I was used to the microsoft office for windows...all the toolbars are visible and easy access...

Editing for articles and books...

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Unless you want to be more specific about the problems you are having with the differences between Mac Office and Windows Office (so someone might be able to actually help you), how about sucking it up and poking around the menus for things you might be missing?

It's really, really pointless to whine about how Office is "different" from Windows Office. Yes, we all know this. Whining will not solve your problem.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Yes, the writing experience will be different, but it is all about what you get used to. I use Office 2007 at work and rather than having everything readily available I find the ribbon to be totally non-intuitive and a real PIA to get anything done. That said, I can usually find whatever I need on the Mac much quicker.

So, the point is... there is a learning curve and you will have to get used to a new system.

6. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Hello.

I may not be of much help since I am terrible at office programs but one thing I do that may be what you want is just to keep the inspector open (the little i icon). This may be what you are looking for.