Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mapleleafer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2009
Just updated to 13.1. When my computer restarted, I received a notification that software from Bruce Lacey had been added that would run in the background and that I could manage it in Login Items. An internet search for "Bruce Lacey" found links to Superduper!, which I use. Does any one know what the heck this notification is about?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
It is part of a new security feature with Ventura that notifies you of any hidden launch or startup items. Same thing happened to me after my Ventura install. The launch items will be in one of the folders below.

~/Library/LaunchAgents (~ is your users folder)
/Library/LaunchAgents
/Library/LaunchDaemons
/Library/StartupItems
/Library/Extensions
/System/Library/Extensions/

If you go to this login items screen in System Settings you can see what items you have allowed.

Screenshot 2022-12-15 at 12.03.34 PM.png

mapleleafer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2009
Thanks. So the notification is from Apple but the software is not. Probably SuperDuper!? I get the same notification every time I boot up and every time I open Login Items. I couldn't find any file with today's date in any of the folders you listed. I have disabled the software from running in the background until I can verify its origin. I'll try contacting Shirt Pocket.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Once you are sure it is legit and part of SuperDuper, you can just allow it in that pane I showed you and you should not see the notice again.

stradify

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2015
USA
Apple should include the name of the application along with the developers name so people getting this warning will not think somethings amiss.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Apple should include the name of the application along with the developers name so people getting this warning will not think somethings amiss.
Agree that would be helpful. When this happened to me after installing Ventura, I thought who the heck is Plentycom Systems. (see my screenshot). Some searching and I figured out it was the Steermouse mouse driver I use.

MRIDoc

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2010
I'm positive this is related to SuperDuper. I get the same "Background Items Added" notification ever since I updated to Ventura and updated to the current version of SuperDuper! (3.7.5). In fact, I now receive two such notifications, one from SuperDuper! and the other from Bruce Lacey.

Here's an excerpt from the ShirtPocket blog from Dave Nanian (owner of ShirtPocket, which makes SuperDuper!), dated Dec 16, 2022:

"A recent Ventura release has also started notifying people about "Startup Items" that were installed. Of course, as you might expect, when you set up a schedule, we have to install some items to get those schedules to, you know, run and stuff.

So, Ventura starts telling you that it happened. But - rather than use the Application name, it used the "Development Team Name"...and so people who see that "Bruce Lacey" had added some startup items...confusing everyone. (Bruce, as you'll see in the About box, is my partner in this endeavor)."

iMacM1, Ventura 13.4

Reactions: KaliYoni

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
Here's an example from my machine; I have a login item named "Davide Feroldi". I initially didn't know what that related to. The output of "sudo sfltool dumpbtm" shows that's the developer of Murus firewall.

UUID: 29F47F93-4C17-4846-B6EB-C36AEEA3D956
Name: Murus
Developer Name: Davide Feroldi
Team Identifier: RNLG254GCK
Type: app (0x2)
Disposition: [disabled, allowed, visible, not notified] (2)
Identifier: anchor apple generic and identifier "it.murus.Murus-Menulet" and (certificate leaf[field.1.2.840.113635.100.6.1.9] /* exists */ or certificate 1[field.1.2.840.113635.100.6.2.6] /* exists */ and certificate leaf[field.1.2.840.113635.100.6.1.13] /* exists */ and certificate leaf[subject.OU] = RNLG254GCK)
URL: file:///Applications/Murus.app/
Generation: 1
Bundle Identifier: it.murus.Murus-Menulet

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.