Software Genius Bar Uses?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Supershuttle, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Supershuttle macrumors newbie

There was a application that booted up the application on my mac at the Genius Bar once. It had icons showing battery, hard drive, etc. It was a full screen window and it showed info about each one. Does anyone know what this is called? I know what the iPhone one is called, but I saw a picture of the application I'm talking about on a website. But I remember the website had only a few fixes for mac os x problems and it was talking about pressing C and it wasn't the hardware test thing or whatever, when you press D on start up. I saw that you put in the restore disk and press C, but the sites were talking about the hardware test thing.

I want the application and it wasn't Techtools deluxe.

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

If you put in your original install disk (not a retail one, but the one that came with the computer) and hold down D, you launch the hardware diagnostics you were seeing referenced on that site.

However, the Apple Stores use a piece of software called AST, which is what you saw at the Genius Bar. It runs over the network from a Mac OS X Server in the back room, and it's not available to the public.

jW

3. Supershuttle, Jul 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2011

Supershuttle thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay thanks, but I can't get it to work on 10.7 and I might be able to get AST off of Apple servers. Oh and what does AST stand for?

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

If you had legitimate access via "Apple's servers", you wouldn't be asking that question. Technically, I shouldn't even have told you of it's existence because of my NDA.

jW