Software Glitch or Defective Battery (Staying at 97%)

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Robert M., May 9, 2015.

1. Robert M. macrumors 6502a

Robert M.

Sometimes it charges to 100% and then sometimes it stops at 97%. Right now it won't go past 94%. I turned it off, placed it on the charger while it was at 94%, and it's still there 30 minutes later.

It's not a big deal, but I'm wondering if anyone else is having this problem. I don't want to send it back right now, but I will if this keeps happening.

I'm using the modular face and when it stops at 97% it stays there for a long time when off the charger, like it's really at 100%, but the reading is wrong.

2. Ariaizadi macrumors regular

Not quite sure. My 42mm SS BSB when I charge in the morning while getting ready goes to 100%. When you're checking the battery do you have the status on the clock face or do you go into glances and check? Maybe the settings and the clock face indicator don't properly communicate.

I'd say if you're not getting a solid one day or a day and a half of usage and the battery isn't constantly draining, you should be fine.

3. Robert M. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Robert M.

I'm still getting all day battery life, and I check on the watch face, never in glances. It's weird. I'm going to try an charge it again, maybe it'll go to 100% this time.

4. Ariaizadi macrumors regular

In your original post you say yo turn it off and then charge. I was under the impression it doesn't charge when watch is shut down, maybe that's why it stayed at the 94%

5. Robert M. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Robert M.

Sorry, it doesn't. I turn it off, put it on the charger, and it comes back on once it's connected. I just turn it off because some people said that helps.

6. trek360 macrumors 6502

The first time I charged mine it only went to 98%. I was using a different charger. After I started using the apple issued charger it goes to 100%. Not sure if that matters or not. Personally I would want my watch charging fully out of the box. I'd call Apple and run it by them.

7. adammull macrumors 6502a

adammull

Mine wouldn't go past 99% until I let it die once and completely run down. Wear it till it goes all the way to shutoff. Then recharge.

At least that worked for me.

8. Robert M. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Robert M.

It does most of the time, but a few times it'll hang at 97%. After turning it off and throwing it on the charger again it's finally at 100%.

I'm convinced that it's some kind of software glitch. I'm not the kind of person who just sends stuff back for little things. I'll monitor it over the next few weeks. I wish Apple would release an update already, to iron out a few bugs.

----------

That worked before. Maybe it's because on most days I plug it in at 37%. I've only drained it a couple of times. It's hard to if you aren't trying/sleeping with it.

9. jtrue28 macrumors 6502

jtrue28

10. DavidLynch macrumors 6502a

The second or third day I took it off the charger in the morning and it was at something like 97% too. It hasn't happened again though.

11. PedCrossing macrumors 6502

PedCrossing

The ultimate solution: remove battery status from compositions and glances.

12. iamasmith macrumors regular

iamasmith

If it's anything like a Mac it won't charge at all if its within 5% of fully charged at the beginning of the cycle. This stops superflous charging and prolongs the battery life.

Let it run down more before you charge :)

13. Robert M. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Robert M.

Today it stopped at 93%. Jeez, I can get it higher after unplugging and stuff. But it's like the charger thinks it's full.

14. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

Which charger are you using? I found that with an iPad charger or via my laptop, it would play up. It would get to 96/97% really slowly then just stay there while getting warm.

There was an Apple Support page somewhere saying that the Watch regulates its temperature, so if it gets warm then charging/data times might slow or stop.

The included brick does a great job though, it breezes to 100%.

15. Robert M. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Robert M.

This could be it. I'm using the brick plugged into the wall, but it's been 90° here for the past two days and my AC is out, so my house is pretty warm. The watch feels hot when it's stuck at a certain percent.