Software icon in titlebar

Discussion in 'macOS' started by wrf1984, Mar 23, 2008.

1. wrf1984 macrumors newbie

I would like to have a simple terminal command or script that would turn the software name in the titlebar (whether the Finder or an application) to an icon. In older version of OSX (pre-Leopard), there was a piece of software that would do this (either OnYx or TinkerTool, I don't remember which), but in the Leopard version that button has been eliminated.

This sounds minor but I'm running out of titlebar room and anything I can do to allow myself a bit more would help. It is also another visual cue that makes it easier for me to switch between programs.

Randy
    wrf1984

2. macsrules macrumors regular

Randy,

I don't quite understand the question but there is a utility for Mac Leopard that lets you manage the menu bar (I assume when you say title bar you mean menu bar?) and reorganize the icons in it. I can find that and post it for you if you want.

I am not sure exactly what you are trying to do with having the Icon up in the menu bar or if I understood correctly, you said as a visual cue. Here is what I use as my visual cues, maybe this can work for you if I am way off, then I guess not.

1. I have Quicksilver installed as my launcher to access applications very fast http://www.blacktree.com/

2. In quicksilver there is a plug-in call conselation not sure I spelled it right. Turn this plug-in on and when on your applications folder you can invoke this plug-in and one of it really cool actions is, it will show you Icons of all your applications in a visual format.

3. As far as see what app you are currently on, if you hit the "Command Key" + "tab Key" together it will pop up a window and tell you what app you are currently using.

If you are new to Quicksilver I can post some tutorials for you or you can just search MacRumors. If I am way off, at least there is some good information here. Maybe try explaining again

3. wrf1984 thread starter macrumors newbie

You are right

Yes, I mean menubar, not titlebar. Thanks and thanks for replying.

Between the Apple icon and the word "File" in the menubar is the name of the application running in the foreground (or the Finder, of course). I used to have a piece of software that, among other things, turned that software "name" into that software's icon.

Now I can't find that software and don't even know if it exists for Leopard. I know it's a small thing but I would like to make that change.

All this shows that, while I use Macs and own them for virtually all my computer needs, I am not someone who understands the nuts and bolts of the computer's hardware and software.

I hope this is clearer.

Randy