Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iqwertyi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2007
Hello,

I finally got an apple.
27" iMac :D

Anyway, I'm completely new to this and there are a lot of things different.
Regarding software, how does one install a software?
I downloaded handbrake and I see it under downloads and can run it from there, but how do I "install" it? I don't see it under my applications folder.

With a PC, you typically download an .exe file. Double click that and it installs the software and you can now delete that .exe file you downloaded and you can find the installed program under "Programs".

How does it work on a mac?
Thanks

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
Look in your Downloads folder. You should have a .dmg file which expands and then lets you drag an app into the Applications folder – I know HandBrake for certain does this, as I just installed the newest version yesterday.

iqwertyi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2007
Wow, thanks for the super fast response.
So, I see the .dmg file under Downloads, double-clicked that and I see a handbrake icon, dragged that over to Applications.

That's it?
lol
That's definitely different than a pc. :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Yes, thats it.

Uninstalling is just as easy - dragging it to the trash

Some applications, like Office, or photoshop or aperture, have their own installers which you generally want to run to uninstall if the need arises.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Some Applications on a Mac will download a dmg file (a disc image), then you double click on the dmg, a disc will appear on your desktop, and you will have either an installer or a file folder. Typically, the background in the DMG will tell you to drag the folder or application to your Application's folder, and they may have a short cut in the window, that you can drop the Application into and it will copy it to your Applications folder. Then you're done.

TEG

randomerratum

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
Santa Monica, CA
It's generally not that big of a deal, but for uninstalling, it's a good idea to use a program like App Cleaner (free).

You just launch App Cleaner and drag the application file of the app you want to uninstall into the window and it searches your Mac for all the little extraneous log files, preference files and whatnot... not deleting these things isn't really that big of a deal, however occasionally it'll conflict if you want to reinstall a different version of the app later.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
OS-X doesn't have a registry so complex entries to that very complex Windows database (complex to me anyway) are not needed--easy install, easy uninstall. :D

iqwertyi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2007
Now I see why OSX is cleaner and easier to manage.
I've got a lot to learn.

Off topic, how can I quickly minimize all windows?
How can I maximize safari to fill the entire screen? Clicking on the "+" seems to maximize vertically but not the sides.

Thanks again all!

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
It's not minimize, but F11 will clear the screen of all windows.

Maximizing doesn't work the same way under OS X – if you want a browser (or anything) to fill the screen you'll have to drag it. Chrome does offer a full-screen option, but it also prevents you from seeing anything else without command-tabbing or switching to another Space.

Last edited:

iqwertyi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2007
Thanks, I thought I was doing something wrong with maximizing the windows.

Caleb531

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2009
You may also want to eject the disk image (.dmg) after installing the app (just drag it to the trash). Doing so will keep your desktop clean. :D

Fubar1977

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
North Yorkshire, UK
If you want the green button to behave more like the maximise button in windows, try installing RightZoom.
It makes windows maximise in the same way as windows does.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.