Software Isolation

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Crown16, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Crown16 macrumors regular

Hi all,

I am updating my grandfathers(94) macbook black intel to Snowleopard. All he wants to do on it is work with The Print Shop 2. He received a special offer for the printshop 3 which he really wants. However he bought the printshop 2 online, and no longer has the CD's or serial codes. Ideally I would completely wipe the Bl Macbook and then only install The Printshop. This isn't possible though cause he doesn't have the appropriate codes anymore. My main question. Is there a way to Isolate his current version of 'the printshop' into a zip, or onto a USB or something so that I can re-install it without serials and stuff after I completely clean and wipe is macbook?

Thanks Guys!

2. stisdal macrumors 6502

stisdal

Do a carbon copy of the current disk on an external. The use the external or whatever to boot the laptop, erase the HD, install OSX, then use migration assistant to pull in all docs and data from the external copy.

3. CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

I can confirm what stisdal said. I had a PPC (preIntel) iMac with Leopard OS X 10.5, I also had a bootable clone and Time Machine backups on an external hard drive, so I was able to use that hdd with Migration Assistant to transfer everything to a new 2011 iMac easily. It transferred all the Adobe Creative Suite & MS Word serial numbers & I was able to begin using them immediately without fuss. If your grandfather was on Leopard and did have Time Machine backups, you don't need to make a clone too. --But you should definitely consider making a bootable clone of the new iMac after it's all set up.

Also, once everything's functioning, you can click on the program's name in the menu Bar and look under About -program name- or Version Information to see serial numbers.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Here's one more recommendation for making a bootable clone of your grandfather's internal drive, using either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper.

It can be either to a spare drive (not partitioned), or even to a partition on another drive.

You should do this in any case, whether you upgrade his software or not, just to have a backup for him if the internal drive fails.

CCC (or SD) is -very easy- to use. There is no better way to do it.