software issues...late MBP2009

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andyjslin, Dec 11, 2009.

1. andyjslin macrumors member

Howdy all,

My new toy (17inch w/ anti glare CTO) with a magic mouse arrived. I believe I have migrated over from PCs (after 25 years) reasonably (After trolling these forums for the past year).

My current problem is this:
    - I can't seem to increase the fan speed on smc Fan Control (2.2.2 release). I basically 'nuke' up the fan speed (6000 rpm) because at 4000 rpm the fan speed hovers at 2000 rpm only. My laptop is a bit too warm for my liking (around 60 deg C). How, can I increase the fan speed?

-i have installed istat (menu and dashboard); however, I can not monitor my network usage after setting ethernet as my primary interface. My version is the latest (downloaded from the developer). How do i rectify this issue?

Thanks,

A.

2. Collider macrumors regular

Can't really offer much help in the way of SMC FC troubleshooting, since I don't use it very often... but just to point out, in the hopes of easing your mind a little... from what I've read on the subject (I'm vaguely obsessive when it comes to overheating, having lost a couple of computers to that issue before, so it was one of the first things I read up on before getting my MBP), the CPU's optimized for anything between 42 and 90 Celcius, so 60 is well within the comfort zone for your system (from my experience, the fans don't tend to start ramping up until about 70, though that's without turning on SMC).

That said, I've seen a handful posts on here from people whose fans were constantly 'stuck' at the ~2000rpm mark, so it might be worth checking to make sure it's definitely an issue with SMC and not an internal problem with your fans?

I'm guessing that's not even close to the sort of help you wanted, but just in case any of the above is the least bit helpful at all, figured there'd be no harm in offering it. No doubt the more knowledgeable MR posters will come up with something more insightful and infinitely more useful, but just felt there'd be no harm in offering up what little I've read on the subject.

3. andyjslin thread starter macrumors member

Network assistance.

Hi all, I'm in need of help again.

My current problem I have is with my network/internet connection. Once or twice a day I loose my Safari connection to the internet (to websites I've previously opened successfully). When it happens, my network card is not physically dis-connected (so I guess I can rule out network card issues). By physically disconnecting my network cable and reconnecting it again; my internet works again. How do I resolve this problem.

Also, I am having problems with the iStat menu. For some reason it does not report my network usage. Is this a software bug or something related to my network/internet problems?