Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grolsch30

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 25, 2007
Bergen, Germany
Hi,

I am about to install after Office for Mac 2011 (1 Licence user), on my imac.

What happens if I have to send my imac in for repairs (hopefully this will never be the case), and i receive a new one.

Or I buy another Mac.

In the first szenario as my licence has been used on the broken will i have to buy a new copy of office.

And in the second instance am i able to de register the software by a simple deinstall and load the software on my new Mac?

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Because the software will be removed from broken system, you can safely, and legally use your software disc to reinstall on the 'new' iMac. The licenses are really to prevent you from owning two computers, and installing the software on both. Although other companies have licenses that allow you to install the software on multiple companies, but only run it on a certain number of machines at the same time.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Sounds like the OP is a switcher. It's not like Windows. There is no product key or registration number.

Oops! Thank-you, MisterMe (below). Read and responded too quickly.

Last edited:

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Sounds like the OP is a switcher. It's not like Windows. There is no product key or registration number.
The OP is asking about a Microsoft issue, not a Mac issue. Most Mac titles require no activation. Some commercial Mac software does not even have serial numbers. However, this is not universal. Office 2011 requires activation. Reports are that it is more onerous than the activation scheme in Office 2010. If the OP needs to reactivate his Office 2011 installation at some point, then he may have to call Microsoft customer service to get it done.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
If I remember right, Aperture 3 allows you to run it on both a Desktop, and a laptop, but not both simultaneously. This is a common usage of pro photographers. Edit and manage your library in the studio on a workstation... and use a laptop in the field.

/Jim

SidBala

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010
Even if your activation fails, call up the number, explain the situation and you will easily get it activated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.