Software licence question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Grolsch30, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Grolsch30 macrumors member

Hi,

I am about to install after Office for Mac 2011 (1 Licence user), on my imac.

What happens if I have to send my imac in for repairs (hopefully this will never be the case), and i receive a new one.

Or I buy another Mac.

In the first szenario as my licence has been used on the broken will i have to buy a new copy of office.

And in the second instance am i able to de register the software by a simple deinstall and load the software on my new Mac?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Because the software will be removed from broken system, you can safely, and legally use your software disc to reinstall on the 'new' iMac. The licenses are really to prevent you from owning two computers, and installing the software on both. Although other companies have licenses that allow you to install the software on multiple companies, but only run it on a certain number of machines at the same time.

3. Gregg2, Nov 12, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2010

Gregg2 macrumors 603

Sounds like the OP is a switcher. It's not like Windows. There is no product key or registration number.

Oops! Thank-you, MisterMe (below). Read and responded too quickly.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The OP is asking about a Microsoft issue, not a Mac issue. Most Mac titles require no activation. Some commercial Mac software does not even have serial numbers. However, this is not universal. Office 2011 requires activation. Reports are that it is more onerous than the activation scheme in Office 2010. If the OP needs to reactivate his Office 2011 installation at some point, then he may have to call Microsoft customer service to get it done.

5. flynz4 macrumors 68040

If I remember right, Aperture 3 allows you to run it on both a Desktop, and a laptop, but not both simultaneously. This is a common usage of pro photographers. Edit and manage your library in the studio on a workstation... and use a laptop in the field.

/Jim

6. SidBala macrumors 6502a

Even if your activation fails, call up the number, explain the situation and you will easily get it activated.