Software - Looking for software that will put notes on folders, suggestions?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macsrules, Mar 15, 2008.

1. macsrules macrumors regular

Hello everyone,

I am looking for a Mac Piece of software that will let me embed notes into folders so when I run my mouse over the folder, it will show me the notes that I typed regarding that folder. Please post if you know or use software that will do this.

Thanks in advance
    MacsRules

2. mackindergarten macrumors 6502

Hi,

I could imagine something with the Spotlight comment field. What is it that you want to achieve with these notes?

/Rupert

3. macsrules thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, here it is. There is so much freeware and software out there. I have been going through and collecting it for future use. As I realize that a lot of the stuff I may only need to use once so, I don't want to install a bunch of software on my computer that I don't currently need, Solution.

1. Install MacFreeze and Only install the stuff that I need to use once, only when I need to use it. That way on the reboot it is gone.

Here is the Problem

2. I have collected a lot of apps from http://www.freemacware.com. I need to be able to put a description right into each folder of each app so that when I run my mouse over that folder my notes pop up so, I can remember what that specific app does. I have put that into the folder name but it compresses the name after a certain number of characters.

Do you know of software that will let me put notes right into folders so when I roll over the folders the notes pop up?

4. mackindergarten macrumors 6502

Alright,

without 3rd party software you could do this:

* Use the Spotlight comment field for a description
    * Before starting to browse the list, open up the Inspector (right click on any folder, hold down the option key and select Show Inspector)
    * This inspector will be selection sensitive. This means it will show the Info window for the currently selected item.

No 3rd party software needed. Everything is there. Plus, this Spotlight comments are fully searchable with...Spotlight :)

Hope this works for you.

/Rupert

5. macsrules thread starter macrumors regular

Works like a Champ!

mackindergarten,

When I open the main folder right click show inspector with the option key pressed it pulls up the inspector. Then I type into the spotlight field the information I want and use my keyboard arrow key to scroll down to the next folder and plug information. This works for viewing the folder information too.

Also the extra bonus you stated is good too that these are spotlight searchable.

This is exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks,
    MacsRules

6. mackindergarten macrumors 6502

7. macsrules thread starter macrumors regular

mackindergarten,

Hey, I just thought of one other question. Do you no where the preferences are held for the inspector? Is it is a hidden file? I would like to change the default size of the spotlight comments text?

MacsRules

8. mackindergarten macrumors 6502

It seems the size of the Spotlight comments field is fixed. I doubt you can change it at all - and if you can, it probably involves some serious hacking of Finder.

Something I clearly wouldn't dare to do.

Do you store so much information for every folder?

/Rupert

9. macsrules thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, but it is no big deal. Will just stick with the default font size. It still works great. I just thought if it would be easy to go into the hidden files and change the default size it would be nice to have the font size a little bigger.

Your solution is still exactly what I was looking for.