Software: Macbook connected to Adapter but not charging

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Anion, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Anion, Nov 16, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2011

Anion macrumors newbie

Hey Guys!

Tried to come up with something via google and the forum's search, but didn't work out as I lack the appropriate terms :(

I am wondering, whether there is a program for macbooks that lets you connect to a power source, so the battery is not recharged (e.g. it stays at 80%). So you can save the rest of the battery loadcycle for later and don't have to start to recharge from 80%.

Why? I want to preserve my battery life :)

Thanks! Anion

2. simsaladimbamba

When a MacBook is connected to a power source, the battery is not drained, but it gets charged again, thus there is no need for a software to enable the power adapter to not drain the battery.

Maybe this can help?

3. Anion thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah! Sorry, I got that wrong. I meant, that I want to prevent the battery from getting charged while it's connected to a power source! :)

So basically the software should give me the choice to decide, whether I want to charge my battery right now or later (e.g. when it is near complet drainage).

4. simsaladimbamba

Such software is not needed with current battery technology, and as far as I know, there is none.

5. Anion thread starter macrumors newbie

Do the mid 2010 macbook pros already have battery technology which ensures that the battery life is not affected although one is not completely draining the battery's energy before recharging? Because if you measure the battery life by loadingcycles this would pretty much kill the battery way more faster...

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Read the Battery FAQ link that simsaladimbamba posted in the first response to this thread. That really will answer most, if not all of your battery questions, including this one.

7. Anion thread starter macrumors newbie

Doh! Didnt realize there was a link in the post (appeared to me to be a part of his signature).... Thanks!! :)