software & mail got stuck

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sossity, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

I was trying to get or request a registration number for some software I had on my macbook pro, & it offered me to send a request for a number, I clicked yes, & mail opened up. But I realized this may not work as I do not have an internet connection to my mac laptop right now, so I tried to close both the software & mail. I could not, the red button in the top left corner was grayed out. So I opened activity monitor & got the software to close. But I could not get mail to quit, I finally forced quit mail & it finally shut down.

What happened? I am so afraid my new mac will start to do the freezing alot of people are talking about, I have had it for just a week, I am not sure it was this, I think it may have just been mail trying to access the internet & it got stuck.

I checked by opening & closing other apps, & they worked ok.

I also notice that sometimes or often when I add an app or move it, I get a windows asking for my administrator password that I made when I first started up my mac for the first time. It makes me give the password before I can do some things. Is this normal?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It's normal that the admin's pass is asked when modifying the applications folder, that prevents apps being installed by an accident and thus being more secure. That might just been a random freeze, don't worry about it

3. DeeGee48 macrumors regular

DeeGee48

Weird MAIL Problem

Glad Sossity's problem really wasn't one. Wish I could say the same. Been using MAIL in OS X for years. All of a sudden it makes no sounds for incoming or outgoing mail. The box in general preferences "Play other mail sounds" is checked. And I can sample incoming sounds and hear them fine. But nothing in actual use. How do I get them back? What happened?

4. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am new to macs, so I am not sure I am much help, but have you checked that the sound is working in general? When the sound was not coming out of my macbook pro, I went into system preferences, under the sound tab, & found incoming & out coming sound mute checked off, I unchecked them & the sound was restored.

5. DeeGee48 macrumors regular

DeeGee48

Well guess what Soss?? It was'nt quite as you said, but in Sound Preferences under Sound Effects I found the problem: my external speakers (Soundsticks) WERE NOT CHECKED under "play alerts and sound effects through..."! The Soundsticks are good and loud, unlike the small speaker in the Mac case itself (which was checked). I couldn't hear that one because the ambient room noise drowns it out! New to Macs or not, your suggestion had me look a little more closely. THANK YOU! :)