Software not optimised for the X

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fjd726, Nov 5, 2017.

1. fjd726 macrumors 6502

I've had the X for a couple days now. Ios 11.1 is a janky mess on this phone along with the 8 unfortunately. What's going on on the software side of things lately? Absolute mess. After face ID unlock, animations stutter which is totally unacceptable. Tried turning on reduce motion, only made it look worse.

I know Chris Pirillo's opinion is not to popular here but he sums up the software issues perfectly. In the latest case of Apple's software, it' getting worse instead of better. Also what's up with the flickering on apps?, especially the mail app? Don't want to turn this into a iphone X hate thread but Apple needs to get the software and hardware back act together as they did in the past.

Not sure I'm keeping this thing. Hardware is fantastic other than that piece of garbage notch. Apps also need to be optimised for the 10. Anyone else experience software issues?

2. Gryzor macrumors 6502a

So the notch is garbage but the huge chin and forehead on the other phones are OK? People need to learn a bit of patience, it's not even past the first weekend of release.

3. Cryates macrumors 68020

Cryates

4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

The piece of garbage notch that makes a lot of great things about the X work? That notch? I disagree with the OP about that aspect.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Aftrer 10 years of smartphones with bezels now all of a sudden that is a problem?
    A piece of the screen cut out on the top is a big issue.
    Keep making excuses for Apple though :D

6. DDustiNN macrumors 68000

DDustiNN

I haven’t had any of those issues at all. I hated the “notch” quite a bit ever since it was first shown, but I found that I don’t mind it the slightest bit when I’m actually using the phone.

Now when I go back to my iPhone 7, it already feels old and dated. And small.

7. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

I’ve noticed some of the more obscure apps have not been optimized for the X, but I haven’t had any actual problems using them. There are just bars at the top and bottom. I remember the experience was much worse when the 6 Plus came out. Many developers took almost a year to update their apps to utilize the Plus’ larger and higher resolution display.

8. TrueBlou macrumors 68040

TrueBlou

I have to say I’ve not experienced any stutters so far and I’m pretty susceptible to these things.

As far as the notch goes, it’s a personal preference. I guess you either like it or you don’t. I’m in the like it camp, I think it’s a sensible design choice to use up otherwise dead space. But we’re all different there.

Software support will take time. We’ve seen this what, three times now? So we know that it takes developers time. Not all apps will be updated of course but you can pretty much guarantee all of the major apps and anything that’s still actively being updated.

9. Hoosier317 macrumors 6502a

Hoosier317

Both 11.1 and 11.2 have been rock solid for me on the X.

10. xeio macrumors regular

xeio

you should accept the notch, because in the next 5 years you will see the same design with this notch. :)

11. TrueBlou macrumors 68040

TrueBlou

There’s at least a 50/50 chance that all of next years models will feature it. People are either going to have to not upgrade, switch to Android or god forbid, accept the notch :D

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Without name calling or insults simply I do not like a screen that's cut up on top and asymmetrical.
    The bezels where never an issue to me.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 5, 2017 ---
    That's their choice, and my choice not to a purchase something I dont like ;)

13. TrueBlou macrumors 68040

TrueBlou

Well said. Notch, no notch, pink and yellow stripes, doesn't matter. Whatever you buy has to be what you like and what you're happy with. Not what someone else thinks you should have just because they have it and think it's the best thing since the invention of the Sinclair C5.

14. macfacts macrumors 68040

macfacts

The notch isn't noticable when using the phone but that doesn't make the notch less ugly. It is like having the words "Samsung" on the front of the phone. Older Samsung phones had that and it was ugly. Its only purpose was branding, letting others know what you got. Just like the notch.

15. gelie macrumors 6502

Zero software issues. What apps in particular are you talking about?

16. fjd726 thread starter macrumors 6502

Nobody sees the animation jank upon unlocking the phone? Flickering on the email app and tapatalk app? IOS 11 still not able to handle the hardware on these new phones. Both 8 and 8 plus do it as well. Many pros and cons with this phone, but to me, it feels just like an upgraded 8 with some extra gimmicks. Also the apps aren't optimised yet with the new aspect ratio. That makes the screen feel much smaller than necessary.

17. TrueBlou macrumors 68040

TrueBlou

I won't deny that part of the reason the notch exists is to identify it as an iPhone, of course it is, it's the Home Button replacement which itself is the branding for the other iPhones.

But you know what they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I actually do like the notch from a design standpoint, more for what it facilitates than how it looks (though that doesn't bother me in the least.)

That's the thing about industrial design, it's very much like art. Take for example Tracy Emin, there are a great many people who find her art interesting, thoughtful, provoking, beautiful even. Personally I think it's a load of old arse gravy. Now Hans Ruedi Giger on the other hand, there's some beautiful and interesting art I am definitely on board with.

No one person can possibly dictate what another should find attractive, interesting, thoughtful, useful or, well, anything else for that matter. You think the notch is an ugly piece of branding and you're right, it's your opinion an no-one can dictate to you what you should think.

I choose to see it as a practical and useful way of facilitating the use of what (most) other companies leave as dead space, which also handily happens to double up as a clever marketing and branding tactic. There's no reason it can't be both and you know what, I'm right too, because that's my opinion. The opinion I formed from a lot of research and study of the device, it's software and it's capabilities over many months.

18. Marshall73 macrumors 68000

Marshall73

Not had any stutters on the X, on the 8 Plus they slowed/lengthened some animations but no stutters.

19. FastLaneJB macrumors member

The hardware I think is awesome. I do agree that so many apps aren’t ready and even some issues with inbuilt Apple ones.

Definitely the software quality has really slipped this year. Here’s to hoping they sort it quickly and developers don’t take as long as they did for the Plus screens in some cases.

20. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

I can't speak from experience, but I also heard about "janky" iOS 11 (actual word used) on The Verge's iPhone X review.

21. Absrnd macrumors 6502a

Absrnd

I had some slight stuttering on the first day or so, but now very smooth and fast,
    remember that in the beginning the iPhone is still indexing, and if it is a big backup could take 2 days :)

And please don't mention Pirilio, we have to do damage control when somebody watches his vids :)

22. fjd726 thread starter macrumors 6502

He's right on about software issues with IOS, hard to deny that. Getting worse instead of better.

23. TrueBlou macrumors 68040

TrueBlou

I don’t know, I’ve been finding it very stable. Even through the developer betas they’ve been more stable by and large than previous generations.

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's nonsense.
    At the beginning it's indexing?
    If it runs bad it will continue to run bad unless Apple addresses the issues with firmware updates.

25. macfacts macrumors 68040

macfacts

And that is another "software" problem. Why doesn't it show a notification or progress bar that the indexing is going on or that the Photos app is scanning for people/faces. On a MacBook, it will tell you Spotlight is indexing files.

On an iPhone, people will experience lag and bad battery and won't know why. They will get advice like restore as new and the indexing will have to start all over again.