Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hullabaloon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
All of a sudden, a fair few programs have started not responding, usually work first time after a restart, but after they are closed once, they simply won't load up. Then I have to Force Quit the program, and restart the whole system to use that program!

The main one is iTunes.. but also now iPhoto, Quicktime and sometimes Mail.

As well as this, the whole system has been freezing up a lot, for a couple of minutes at a time, before working fine again.

I've also noticed the computer seems to be whirring away for no real reason (not backing up to Time Machine or syncing MobileMe).

It's only happened suddenly, I thought it had something to do with Skype, which I installed shortly before the problems started, but there doesn't seem to be any change now I've uninstalled it!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jon

CallsignBaron

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2007
NC USA
Have you tried to verify permissions on the HD in disk utility? You can verify as well as repair permissions and verify the disk in Disk Utility located in Applications>Utilities. This can sometimes solve problems like this. Hope this helps.

Hullabaloon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Thanks for your suggestion!

I have verified and repaired the disc permissions and verified the disc, which came up as being ok, but the problem seems to be there still :(

Any other advice?

CallsignBaron

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2007
NC USA
In Disk Utility does the S.M.A.R.T. status say verified? Also, how old is your Mac? If you're still under warranty then a call to Tech Support may be in order. One more thing, is this problem only seem to be with Apple software? Any third party apps affected?

Hullabaloon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
It's a couple of years old, but I've got the 3 year Apple care thingy!

Toast is affected now also.. :S

What is the SMART status? Where do I find this?

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it :)

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
In the Disk Utility application, if you select the actual hard drive volume (beginning with the size of the hard drive) instead of Macintosh HD, along the bottom of the window it should have information regarding SMART Status. Normally it'll say Verified, but if it says Failing or Failed, backup everything you can to an external hard drive. Copying your home folder in Macintosh HD/Users should suffice. Then bring your computer into a service provider or an Apple Retail store to have the drive replaced.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
What is the SMART status? Where do I find this?

Here:
60f18fc3.png

CallsignBaron

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2007
NC USA
If you paid for the extra warranty then now is the time to cash in on your investment and call Apple Tech Support. First they would be the most qualified to help you but more importantly if this is a hardware failure you want it documented in case you need a warranty repair. In the mean time it would be prudent to back up all of your data in case this is a hard drive failure or if tech support wants you to reinstall OSX.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.