Software Problem of Blinking Folder with Question Mark

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sharah05, May 22, 2017.

1. Sharah05 macrumors newbie

Hi guys!

I am Sharah, having trouble with the blinkin folder with question mark. It is a MacBook Pro 13 Inch 2010. I've read many threads and said it probably hardware problem which the most possible is the HDD.

I've tried several methods such as internet recovery, PRAM etc. When I did the internet recovery the HDD was not read, so I was so sure it will be hardware problem.

But surprisingly after I went to the Apple Centre service today, they diagnosed there are no problem with the hardwares. And somehow they succeeded make my laptop boot normally. Then I thought everything is now ok, I shut it down and went back home.

But when I try to turn it on at home the blinking folder with question mark back again. I am so sure it's software problem.

Anybody can help?

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

It's either HDD or HDD cable. Or even both.

Providing you can gain access to the OS, please could you kindly download SMART Utility and screenshot the result? https://cloudfront.volitans-software.com/smartutility323.zip

If not, I'd take it back to the Apple Store. It's definitely something hardware related.

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Take your MacBook Pro back to the shop and have them replace the SATA cable.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Sounds like the sata cable Apple should fix that for free.

5. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

It's the 2010 so I'm not sure the 2012 repair program would be applicable... but that said, as the 2010 is EOL Apple wouldn't touch it at all, so maybe it's the 2012 the OP's thinking of? :confused:

6. Sharah05 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply, when I was at the service center, after they finished diagnosing and said there's no problem with the HDD, I can access the OS. Now, I am no longer can access the OS, only the blinking folder with question mark appear on the screen.

I thought it will be not hardware related things, but well I will go back to tomorrow, and have them replace the HDD cable.

7. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

8. Sharah05 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all for the replies, I can conclude that the most possible thing I can do is replacing the HDD cable. :confused:

9. Audit13 macrumors 6502a

Audit13

I just bought a used Macbook 13 2010 with the same problem. I just couldn't resist at the sale price.

Ordered a replacement sata hard drive cable from Amazon and I hope the replacement cable resolves the issue.

10. Sharah05 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Guys!

I've replaced the cable, and have checked nothing is wrong with the HDD. Right after replacing the cable I successfully accessed the OS as normal, but a bit later the OS went not responding, not long after I opened Safari.

Then I forced shut down, and no, the blink folder is coming again. :\

Anyone have any idea with this symptom?

11. Audit13, May 24, 2017
    Last edited: May 25, 2017

Audit13 macrumors 6502a

Audit13

I'm sorry to hear that the problem returned.

Is it possible to swap the replacement cable for another one?

If the DVD drive works properly, you could remove the DVD drive and replace it with a hard disc caddy so you can install the boot drive into the DVD bay.

Edit: installed the generic hard drive cable from Amazon into my 13" Macbook pro 2010 and I am happy to report that I was able to partition and erase a mechanical drive and ssd. I was also able to perform a clean install of El Capitan and Sierra on both drives.