Software problem

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by G5-Sir Mac Alot, Aug 11, 2013.

1. G5-Sir Mac Alot macrumors member

About a year ago I bought (for $50.00) software for my G5 called Mac Tarot. I have enjoyed using it regularly and it has ran flawlessly until now. Now it says "Version Expired get new version at heir website" Now, I go to the website, No new version. Check my customer downloads, No new update. It shows a phone number in Australia to call for problems. Called twice in different times of the day, No answer and no way to leave a message. Have tried e-mailing the guy along with a copy of my Pay Pal receipt for the transaction and have received no answers. I would just like to use my software again. So, a couple of questions. Has anyone else ever dealt with this and what did you do ad second, Is there a way to change the dates in the program so it is no longer expired and is that ok given the circumstances. Thanks.

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yeah, I had this issue, but with a different game. My wife likes to use her 12" PowerBook G4 to play Solitaire. One of the apps that she was running phoned home. One day it stopped working.

Turns out the game dev had folded and shut down his website. No website, no game launch.

Had to find her a different version of Solitaire.

It may be possible to get your's running again, IDK. I haven't tried this but you could try turning on the firewall in Leopard (I am assuming you are using OS X 10.5.8) and then adding that app to the firewall, but telling it to deny all connections.

More expensively, a copy of Little Snitch would allow you to block all connections between your app and the website.

Now, I have no idea if that would simply stop your app from functioning or if it would simply ignore the fact that it could not connect and allow you to use it. So, I have no idea if what I suggest will work.

This is one of those problems with having older Macs and a dying developer base.

3. Swampus macrumors 6502

Swampus

I've never heard of this program, so took a look at MacUpdate out of curiosity. You might want to take a look at some of the comments over there. You appear to not be the only one who has had problems.

It appears to have been a time limited subscription at one point, but you should have purchased the "one time payment" version, not a subscription, if you got it last year.

Here are the first two comments, the second being a response, two and a half years later, from the developer:

Does this match the number that you dialed? Keep in mind that Sydney is GMT + 10, so call late in the evening US time.

4. G5-Sir Mac Alot thread starter macrumors member

Ya I think that's the same number because he posted it on the website as well with a note to leave a message yet he has no voice mail or answering machine that answers either. I have TCP Block (roughly a freeware version of Little Snitch) installed on my G5. I will give it a try.

5. G5-Sir Mac Alot thread starter macrumors member

Nope didnt work! Dammit, I really enjoyed using that software and it really ticks me off that I paid 50 bucks just to get a years usage and the nothing!

6. Swampus macrumors 6502

Swampus

I don't really know anything about Tarot or whether or not the date (or perceived date) plays any role in divination, but you could try setting the date back on the computer to see if it helps with the application itself? Unless the application phones home, as eyoungren suggests, it might work.

You have every right to be annoyed. I'd continue to try to contact the developer. Good luck to you.

Edit: BTW, this might be a good time to call. It's 11:00 AM there at the time of this post.

7. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

Tarot is not really time specific, so there shouldn't be an issue with rewinding the clock. I just personally dislike this one, because it doesn't look like a reference app. It looks like one that "shuffles" and "deals."

I like to touch my tarot cards.

8. G5-Sir Mac Alot thread starter macrumors member

Ok changing the system clock worked! (Had one of those, "Duh, I should have thought of that!" moments.) It's kinda stupid that I should have to do that, but its better than nothing. Thank you all so very much! Blessed Be!

9. Swampus macrumors 6502

Swampus

Yay! Glad that it has worked for the moment. I'd still try to contact the developer for a more legitimate solution.

The fact that this application is based on the 1909 collaboration between Pamela Colman Smith and A. E. Waite makes it interesting from an historical perspective, if nothing else.

Truth be known (and WAAAAAAY off topic), the closest that I have ever come to Tarot is HBO's Carnivàle. The deck that Sophie used in that show, if I'm not mistaken, is the Rider-Waite deck which is based on that same 1909 work. For those who don't know, Carnivàle is, hands down, the best show in the entire history of television. I've watched it several times and still pick up on visual metaphors that I had missed or didn't quite understand in previous viewings. My trusty PowerPC G4 has just encoded the entire series for my iPod so that I can watch it even more!

10. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

Brilliant idea!

11. rjcalifornia macrumors 6502a

rjcalifornia

It was a great show!