Software Purchase Questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by julianps, Mar 22, 2008.

1. julianps macrumors member

julianps

I know there are a number of Europeans using these 'boards, even Americans living in Europe; I have a question.

I'm one of over 5 million Europeans who live in a country where my first language is not the native/natural/official language (I'm a Brit in France). Apple Store France will only delivery French language software (not a problem for Leopard but a PITA for iLife/FCE) and Apple Store UK & NE (the only 'Store sites offering software in English) will not deliver to France.

Has anyone found a solution to problem that even Dell can solve easily, how to get software in one primary language delivered to a different country.

[BTW I've spent over three hours on the phone to three national Applestore's and neither can come up with anything approximating a procedure.]

Suggestions?

Tkx/Jules in France

2. joefinan macrumors 6502a

Get a mate in England to buy it for you and send it to you?

3. julianps thread starter macrumors member

julianps

:D

[I'd prefer to pay, and therefore recover, French TVA]

4. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

What if you order if off the Internet from a reseller and get it shipped to you.

5. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

Well, in theory, most software offers a selection of languages on introduction (if it's CD software) but you'd have to check before you buy. Why not type the list of apps in a thread and ask if anyone knows if you can change the language for them?

Or, assuming they live in England, why not get the software sent to your parents' house and then sent over to you from there?

6. julianps thread starter macrumors member

julianps

I know (from Apple) that iLife and iWork are both language specific, as is FCE. I was hoping to buy in France and as a result to recover the local purchase taxes (TVA). Buying in the UK presents me with 17.5% unrecoverable taxes plus shipping costs = 25% more expensive!

On iLife Family, iWork Family, FCE Upgrade and Aperture alone that's serious money.

As Apple has doubtless worked out the dual-language thing for Canada and the Netherlands I suspect the failure to offer language options elsewhere is either dumb, or lazy, or both; let's face it all hardware in France is offered with an international English keyboards and software as a no-cost option and there's at least 5 applications offered in English only.

Bad Apple; rotten Apple.