Software Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by imacattack, Oct 30, 2010.

1. imacattack macrumors member

imacattack

I bought a MacBook with 2.4GHz/250/2x1GB/SD.

I am a Mercedes-Benz mechanic and cannot download my DVD for Windows to see parts I use. Is there a software I can either download from the Internet or purchase that would accommodate this DVD for Windows on my MacBook? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I suppose the DVD has Windows executables on it (.exe), thus you need some kind of Windows to run it. Either install Windows via Boot Camp (comes with Mac OS X) and run Windows natively or install Windows as Virtual Machine (VM) using software like Sun Virtual Box (free) or Parallels Desktop or VMWare Fusion (both cost something).

Booting Windows on the Mac

3. imacattack thread starter macrumors member

imacattack

New to MacBook so

do I have to purchase and download Windows XP Service Pack 2, OR Windows Vista or Windows 7?

Is boot camp already installed on this MacBook that I have?

If I have to install Vista or Win 7 is that all I do and then put the DVD in? When I turn on the MB how do I get to Windows? Will there be something on my desktop to click on? Is this something a newbie can do who can follow instructions relatively well?

Curious to know...

Valerie

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have you taken a look at the link I provided? It explains in detail what options and steps involve running Windows on your Mac.

And Boot Camp is part of Mac OS X, thus it has already been installed in the factory. And yes, you need to buy a license of Windows, whichever way you run it on your Mac.

Btw, can you post a screenshot of the Finder window displaying the contents of the DVD?

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Take a look at this. WHat you have to do is to open Boot Camp Assistant from Applications > Utilities and it will tell you what to do

6. imacattack thread starter macrumors member

imacattack

Getting confused

What I am confused with is - using Boot Camp to utilize the DVD drive OR download Windows 7 and utilize the DVD drive. I read the instructions for your links.....seems simple but need to know the above. If I can just download Win 7, I will purchase it. Seems the easiest. Right?

7. jerry333 macrumors member

jerry333

While Boot-Camp is a solution, it prevents you from using your Mac while Boot-Camp is running because you have to reboot between the two. A much better way is to use VMWare Fusion or Parallels to run windows while you're running your Mac. (I like VMWare better than Parallels, but that's a personal preference).

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Boot Camp is just an utility that partitions the drive and reboots the computer for you. So, you need to install Windows and boot into it if you want to read .exe files.

9. imacattack thread starter macrumors member

imacattack

In other words

I install Windows 7, then follow the instructions for boot camp installation. Correct?

10. gks macrumors 6502

This is seriously beyond your level of knowledge. I'd stop before you mess crap up and have to take a trip to the Apple Store to have them reinstall OS X for you.

11. imacattack thread starter macrumors member

imacattack

This how one

learn to do things by trial and error. If given the proper instructions, I can do this. That is why I am asking questions before making any mistakes. Trust me, I won't screw up my new computer.

12. gks macrumors 6502

It's not that. You don't even grasp the concept of what's happening. Let alone the process of what to do.

You have everything backwards.

First you run Bootcamp. Which splits the hard drive into two pieces. One for OS X, and one for Windows.

Then you install Windows on the windows piece (a partition). And yes, you need to purchase Windows 7 or whatever you want to use. It does not come with bootcamp or your mac.

You may be willing to try this, but my gut tells me you're too much of a newbie to computers that this is not a good idea.

I'd strongly suggest not doing it and instead buying software like VMWare or Parallels.

Edit: and yes, you can screw up your new computer doing this. By redoing partition tables you can effectively erase everything on your computer. It's unlikely you'll break the hardware, but you can certainly make the computer unusable and given what you have been saying so far, I doubt you'd know how to fix it without asking even more questions.

13. Lordedmond macrumors regular

no wonder a merc was the the most troublesome car I have had if you are a merc tech

print out the instructions that are provided with bootcamp util when you load it

it will advise you to do this on the first page

14. gks macrumors 6502

lol...

don't encourage him... please. This is bad news and odds are he's going to mess crap up.

15. imacattack thread starter macrumors member

imacattack

Got it

I do understand what you are saying. However, I am having a computer Mac tech come in to take care of this for me. BTW, initially, I wanted to say I was writing this for a Mercedes-Benz mechanic. I am NOT the mechanic. Thanks for your input.

16. Lordedmond macrumors regular

boy am I glad for the merc owners in your area :D