Software raid preparation

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by AfterglowMP, Oct 16, 2010.

1. AfterglowMP macrumors member

I'm setting up a simple software raid0 in my Hex with two x internal 1.5tb Seagate 7200s to speed up video editing of mostly EX footage. I'll have a back up drive to cover them (probably in one of the two remaining slots). The system folders and FCP and other apps are on an SSD drive in the spare optical bay.

My first question is: the Seagates are brand new but is there any kind of preparation software I can run to minimise problems?

Second: what about defragging later or other 'cleaning' of drive?

Third: if I set Carbon Cloner to back up daily or every two days (I'll have camera footage backed up to begin with on external drives), will the backing up slow down the processor if I'm editing at the same time?

Thx

2. Honumaui macrumors 6502a

go to the erase and write 0 to it one time ? quite a few people do this takes a while though :)
    under the security options button check the zero out data

dont worry about it OS X kinda takes care of this :) some will say yes some will say no ? but I am one of the dont run other things to do this :)

yes it will slow it down so schedule when you are sleeping :)

3. AfterglowMP thread starter macrumors member

Does the zero out data process help even when the drives have never had any data on them?

Regarding back up, is CC the best to use?

4. Honumaui macrumors 6502a

the reason some do it is it forces the OS to look at every sector if its bad it gets flagged so its something that some like to do :) they will get flagged later on when hit but a way to kinda pre check or pre do the flagging :)

some will say its not needed some do ? if you got the time ? cause it takes a while cant hurt :)

CCC and Super duper are both good options ? some also like Chronosync cause it can verify better ? so everyone has their opinion of what they like also as I understand and my buddy has said Chrono is a true clone where Super Duper really just uses the finder to copy so he prefers Chrono ?

I use Super Duper and used to use CCC forgot which version of OS X they got behind on ? but any of the 3 will do the job I say download them play with them choose the one whos interface you like the most or the one that someone makes a compelling argument to use :)
    some friends have had issues with Chronosync ?

the most important thing is to do it :)

I use super duper never had issues yet and I test mine regularly :)