Software RAID1(Mirroring) on Leopard, how reliable is it?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kman79, Nov 6, 2007.

1. kman79 macrumors regular

Hey guys.

I just purchased OWC External HDD Enclosure that houses two HDDs. I've placed two WD 500GB drives in them and did a RAID1 array using Disk Utility in Leopard. Now I know Mirroring is meant to be like an insurance in case one of the drives failed, I would still have a copy of the data. How reliable and safe is OS X Leopard RAID1 software? This is my first venture into using RAID, and I just want to make sure I'm better off using Software RAID than keeping these two drives in separate volumes. The Data stored in them are my new nephew's/godson's baby pictures from the time he was 3 seconds old up till now. My sister has given this responsibility of keeping all the digital pictures and video safe, so I want to make sure I don't loose this Data.

Any help and info regarding this is greatly appreciated.

2. opeter macrumors 65816

opeter

I know, that this is now an old theme, but I have the same question.
    Thanks for your response.

3. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

I have said it many times and I will say it again:

RAID 1 is not a backup system. It provides higher availability. If you use RAID 1, you still need to backup the data using backup software. Time Machine is just fine for this.

Software RAID 1 on Leopard is quite reliable.

S-

4. dmm219 macrumors 6502

actually, its not. Software RAID 1 on osx corrupts my identical seagate drives EVERYTIME. Stay away from raid on OSX...simply schedule a daily and weekly back up with automator, its safer and far more reliable.