Software Recommendation for Hard Drive Sector Scanning

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by jmine83, Aug 19, 2012.

1. jmine83 macrumors member

I am looking for a software program that meets the following conditions:

1. Can thoroughly scan the blocks of a hard drive in order to detect corrupt blocks.
    2. Can perform the operation described in 1 without the need for a second computer (because I don't have one).
    3. Preferably a free program or very cheap if it exists.

I just bought a new SSD and before I install Mountain Lion onto it I want to verify that the drive is good and does not have any corrupt blocks.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

When you start your Mountain Lion install just go to the Utilities menu before the main install starts and pick Disk Utility. You will need to use Disk Util to format the new drive first. After formatting click the repair disk button and it will check the disk for errors.

3. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Scanning for file system errors is different from scanning for bad sectors. I use Drive Genius 3, which scans for bad sectors in addition to other drive maintenance utilities.

4. jmine83 thread starter macrumors member

Great. Thank you for that recommendation. But before I commit myself to buying this program, you're certain it can scan for bad sectors on the same hard drive which the program itself is installed onto? Or how would it work exactly? Because again, I only have one computer.

5. w00t951, Aug 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2012

w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I've not tested it myself, but this is what the scan panel looks like. To verify Drive Genius can perform a sector scan, I've included the Help window concerning sector scanning. It is indeed possible to run the scan on the boot drive, but I'd guess that you'd have to reboot into verbose mode.

Attached Files:

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Disk Util can scan for bad sectors.