Software Recommendations

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Pyrotechnic, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Pyrotechnic macrumors 6502

Pyrotechnic

Whilst I await the arrival on my new and first iMac, I thought I better gather some recommendations of the software I need, to replace some of the apps I currently use. Here is a list of the apps I am using, if anyone can recommend replacements for them, it would be appreciated. I have no objection to paying for them if they are worth it.

I realise there are many threads on this subject but a few are dated as far back as 2004 and I am presuming the software has changed somewhat in the past few years.

Coffee Cup Direct FTP
    Coffee Cup Lock Box
    Coffee Cup HTML Editor
    Avast Professional
    Synctoy 2.0
    Winrar
    MP3 Tag
    Newsleecher
    Roxio Creator Ultimate

2. Pyrotechnic thread starter macrumors 6502

Pyrotechnic

Thanks, I will look them up. I am trying to stay away from M$ products ;)

3. reclusivemonkey macrumors 6502

reclusivemonkey

Cyberduck (free) and Transmit (pay) are a couple of the highest regarded FTP apps.
    Coda (made by the same people who make Trasmit) is a fantastic HTML Editor, one of the best around IMHO.

4. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Cyberduck (free), Roxio Toast Titanium, Stuffit Expander (free.)

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

You are looking at this the wrong way. You should think about the functions you need to perform, not about one to one replacement software. It will likely turn out that you can do many things on the Mac without additional software. And for those funtions that do require more software it may not be a one to one replacement.

For example. iTunes can tag MP3 files and mac OS X ships with ftp software and Disk Utility (and iTunes) can burn CDs.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Search

Macupdate.com or versiontracker.com

On what you need something to do. i.e. search "rar"

7. Pyrotechnic thread starter macrumors 6502

Pyrotechnic

Apologies, I have never used a Mac and eagerly awaiting its arrival. I believe some of the above can be carried out without installing additional software which is even better.

I have had trouble in the past with itunes not saving TAG info, but will look into this when I set the Mac up.

Perhaps I need to wait until its arrival and then try to catch up on what I need.