software regularly crashing ... thought this was a Mac??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mr goosey, Apr 27, 2007.

1. mr goosey macrumors member

Hello all,

Just purchased a Macbook. Firefox regularly crashes (no out of the ordinary websites being visited here). VLC regularly crashes.

I know this is software that may be ****ing up, not the Mac itsself. Any ideas why?

MRG

2. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Brand new MacBook? What's the config?

Have you added any RAM?

How about other programs, Safari etc ok? Have you tried trashing the offending ones and installing them again?

3. mr goosey thread starter macrumors member

It's the 2Ghz, with 2GB RAM. I haven't used much of the software with any regularity yet. Have reinstalled yes. These are the newest versions downloaded from the respective software's websites.

4. noaccess macrumors 6502

But is the extra RAM third-party, or is it all Apple RAM?
    Firefox shouldn't be crashing regularly, whereas VLC is known to be unstable. It isn't version 1.0 yet.

5. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

If it's third party RAM it could quite possibly be faulty. The way OS X manages memory is great, IMHO, but it really seems to make dodgy RAM obvious!

6. Angrist macrumors 6502

Firefox can be flakey, although i personally haven't had any significant problems with it.

the latest version of VLC has a bug that causes crashes on some machines. Does it crash as soon as you open a video file?
    IIRC you need to open VLC by itself, go to the advanced video preferences, and change the playback module from openGL to something else ... I don't remember exactly, but google should help pin it down.

7. mr goosey thread starter macrumors member

Apple RAM installed by Apple.

That is basically the problem with VLC - it also happens when I skip the video on a bit.

8. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

What websites are you visiting in Firefox when it crashes. That may be part of the problem.

9. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

I've used VLC and Firefox for several years and on at least 5 Macs. Yes, they crash often, but they are after all Third Party. Are your Tiger applications are crashing regulalry too?

10. savar macrumors 68000

savar

Any error messages?? Are they the latest versions?