Software Releases @ Event?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Saberon, Sep 27, 2011.

  1. Saberon macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2008
    #1
    What software do you think will be released on the October 4th event?

    iOS 5 GM------- 99.99% chance (Holding on to that 0.01% it comes before...yeah right! haha!)
    iTunes 10.5(or 11, not sure)- ----- 95%
    Lion 10.7.2- ------- 50%

    Any other thoughts/predictions?
     
  2. jcpazos macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2010
    Location:
    Mexico
    #2
    Hi

    I think that if iOS is going to GM that day, then iTunes must go; reason because for enable some options in iOS5 we will need iTunes installed first.

    For example sync in WiFi in iOS5 need an indication in iTunes, the present version of iTunes does not have it, so maybe iTunes goes live that day.
     
  3. Faux Carnival macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2010
    #3
    I though iCloud will be integrated with Mac OS X too. That means an update.
     
  4. b166er macrumors 68020

    b166er

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2010
    Location:
    Philly
    #4
    I'd say it's fairly likely we will see all 3 at the same time on or just after the 4th.
     
  5. BaldiMac macrumors 604

    BaldiMac

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2008
    #5
    I think your percentages are backwards. iOS5 requires OS X 10.7.2 and iTunes 10.5, so the OS X and iTunes updates would need to be released first. :)
     
  6. Saberon thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2008
    #6
    iOS 5 doesnt *need* 10.7.2, but they both use iCloud. You can install iOS 5 with Windows/SL if you wanted to.

    I'm talking about the GM release in the first post, not the public release.
     
  7. BaldiMac macrumors 604

    BaldiMac

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2008
    #7
    Well, you can't install it without iTunes 10.5 which requires 10.7.2 if you are on Lion. Apple isn't going to release it for Windows users first! :D

    To developers. Got it.
     
  8. stisdal macrumors 6502

    stisdal

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2010
    Location:
    USA
    #8
    All 3 will be released that day. They cannot release the iPhone GM as it will have these features that we cannot use on the 4, and it will spoil the "whats new & magical" portion of the news event.
     
  9. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2011
    #9
    I think they will release an update to Snow Leopard too (maybe a 10.6.9 sort of update) to integrate iCloud into Snow Leopard. Or at least, that's what I remember reading about.

    iOS 5 GM will probably have a few new features (like Assistant and maybe GPS Navi), but I'm not sure if they'll reserve that for the A5 chip.
     
  10. Mr.C macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2011
    Location:
    London, UK.
    #10
    I thought that 10.6.8 already included it or am I mistaken ?
     
  11. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2011
    #11
    Included iCloud? Well, I'm running 10.6.8 and don't see any iCloud support/hints anywhere. But that could be because they haven't opened up iCloud to the public... Not sure.
     
  12. Mr.C macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2011
    Location:
    London, UK.
    #12
    I might just have got my wires crossed but I thought I read reports online that it did. The last version of Snow Leopard I used was 10.6.7 before I upgraded to my new Mini with 10.7. You may well be right in that it's coming with 10.6.9.
     
  13. Saberon thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2008
    #13
    iTunes 10.5 does not need 10.7.2 to be installed first at all.
     
  14. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2011
    #14
    Hmm, I was thinking that, when they turn on iCloud, shouldn't there be some sort of update to flip the switches, if you will, on Snow Leopard computers to get iCloud running? I know for Lion it will be 10.7.2, and I suspected it was 10.6.9 for Snow Leopard, but now I'm not sure.
     
  15. jacollins macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2010
    #15
    I expect 20 minutes of iOS5, 10 minutes of iTunes, 20 minutes new services like Match and iCloud, 10 minutes of 3'rd party developers, 20 minutes of photo/video editing, and then 10 minutes of the next iPhone hardware. Oh, and a one thing more of "it's in stores on 10/14". Too cynical? :)
     
  16. Cougarcat macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2003
    #16
    There will be an iCloud update for Snow Leopard, but it won't be a full OS X update.

    I don't think we will see anything released the day of event to the public. Just the GM and iTunes update for developers. Then everything will be released a week later.
     
  17. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2010
    Location:
    Upstate NY
    #17
    You have no idea what you are talking about. iTunes 10.5 works just fine on 10.7.0 and 10.7.1 just the same as it works fine on SL.
     

Share This Page