Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eugenevisman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2018
Hi there.

The software(pro presenter) that I consider using for professional video playback(HD,no 4K needed)
,suggests at least a gig of dedicated video ram and a discrete gfx card.I hate to drop close to 3 grand on a new powerbook.They have had these requirements for a while on their site and I wonder if the new gen of 13"powerbooks can work as a substitute.

Thanks in advance,

Vazza

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2006
London, UK
Pretty sure you’d be fine but if you need to use that software every day then get a 15” and save up a little longer.

Shamgar

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2015
The new 13" is probably more than sufficient, but it will depend on the specifics of your workload. Are you looking at running any additional modules? Are you running just one video at a time or layering multiple? Are the videos particularly high bite rate?

I have ProPresenter deployed on Mac minis with HD 3000 integrated graphics, and they're holding up surprisingly well at simple playback tasks. I also have ProPresenter on iMacs with GT 640M video cards (less capable than modern Intel Iris graphics), and they're able to handle more fairly comfortably. Running live adjustments on the videos and then layering text overtop.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
.I hate to drop close to 3 grand on a new powerbook.They have had these requirements for a while on their site and I wonder if the new gen of 13"powerbooks can work as a substitute.
Contact them, and/or buy a 13" MBP and see if it works. It may be however that the vram requirements is there for a reason and you'll be better off with the 15" model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.