Software Retun Policy

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pugnut, Aug 19, 2007.

1. pugnut macrumors 6502a

I purchased a macbook and office 2004. I opened the software, but did not install it. I decided to use open office instead until Office 08 comes out. Also the version I purchased was the student teacher version and the rep in the store told me that when 08 comes out I can simply upgrade. Well after research I found that not to be the case.

From what I read I can return it as long as it was not installed and or I did not accept the terms. Since I did not install I am assuming they will take the return.

Anyone have any comments ?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I think it depends on the retailer. All shops 'round these parts won't accept a return if it has been opened in the case of software, for obvious piracy reasons.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I have never seen a store that will accept opened software for return. Good luck.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I know it is harsh, but you're probably out of luck here... it's just the nature of the beast when it comes to software and piracy.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

5. jczubach macrumors 6502

jczubach

"the rep in the store told me that when 08 comes out I can simply upgrade. Well after research I found that not to be the case."
    Have you talked to the rep? some people are known to be reasonable, especially if their advice turns out to be in error, and if not maybe their manager can be of assistance.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Did he say you could simply upgrade, or that you could upgrade for free? The former is actually a pretty accurate statement. ;) Office updates are pretty uncomplicated.

You can certainly always resell it at only a modest loss... and you can certainly also try returning it. You never know.

7. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

You should have done your research BEFORE you opened your software. You should have read your receipt for the return policy on software. And you should realize that if the rep said you can simply upgrade, he was right...you CAN simply upgrade. I don't know of any retailer that accepts opened software, so you're likely out of luck.

8. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I don't know of anywhere that would accept it back once it has been opened .. :(

9. pugnut thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apple Clearndon VA took it back

Went into the store and explained the situation and with manager approval the accepted it back. I did not have the receipt and they were willing to take it back to the receipt, but since they emailed me I asked them to look it up.

They found it using my credit card I used to purchange and refunded with no issues.

Excellent server and customer service, one of the reasons I deal with apple.

10. MacPossum macrumors 6502

MacPossum

I have returned open software to CompUSA (I believe it was Virtual PC) a few years ago. I can really depend on how computer literate the customer service people are.

11. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Good for you... glad it worked out.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

12. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Well, at CompUSA, you're guaranteed to get a computer illiterate person :D