Software similar to centrino hardware control for apple?

asqy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2005
Australia
Is there any software out there that does a similar job that centrino hardware control does for PC laptops? You slow down the processor to lower the heat, improve battery life etc?

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
There isn't any software that lets you do this. However, the Core Duo does this by itself automatically.

asqy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2005
Australia
NJuul said:
You can use this nice app to monitor the processor speed and temperature. You'll see it does as yippy^ says.
Does OSX have throttle software (ie to turn the processor down) inbuilt?

apple.com said:
A Better Battery

Tiger improves battery life with an intelligent power management technology that manages your system automatically. For example, Tiger can slightly dim the display automatically when running on battery power, and it doesn’t require the hard disk to spin up as often to flush the disk’s cache. If you want to tune the settings manually, you can use one of the two alternative power profiles or you can create your own.

And you don't have to fear sleep. Mobile Macs wake from sleep in a second, almost as fast as it takes to lift the PowerBook or iBook screen.

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
The hardware does. The throttling is controlled by firmware, independent of the OS. For PPCs there was a limited throttling control under System Preferences->Energy Saver->Options. You could set the processor to Highest, reduced, or auto, but I think they took this out with the Intels because the processor does such a good job on its own.

asqy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2005
Australia
yippy said:
The hardware does. The throttling is controlled by firmware, independent of the OS. For PPCs there was a limited throttling control under System Preferences->Energy Saver->Options. You could set the processor to Highest, reduced, or auto, but I think they took this out with the Intels because the processor does such a good job on its own.
hmmm...I currently have a t43 and I turn it down from 1700 to 800 when mobile...massive save in battery life and heat + fan...