Software that adds applications in RAM at startup?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by wesleyh, Nov 9, 2008.

1. wesleyh macrumors 6502

Does anything like that exist? If not, why hasn't this been developed yet?

I'm talking about when you open safari for the first time, it takes much longer than subsequent times (after closing it completely) because certain things are still loaded in RAM presumably..

So what I want is an app that will always load whatever apps I designate into the RAM at startup. (I shut down my pc completely to conserve energy..)

Is this feasible, or impossible?

2. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Just use Login Items in OS X - it will achieve what you want. You can set the app to hide itself if you like.

In Windows for a while now various versions of MS Office have pre-loaded elements into RAM at startup to make it subsequently load faster.

3. wesleyh thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the suggestion. The problem is that I don't want 10 bouncing items in my dock at startup.. It may seem silly.

I do like bounces for apps I open so I do not want to disable bounces for opening apps, just apps that are opened via login items.. Is it possible with an applescript to control such behavior, for example, 1 minute after startup do not bounce, then from there on do?

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

And who told you that this is a problem?

5. bpasker macrumors member

6. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

well duh. That's the functionality he's trying to achieve in OS X.
    OP suck it up and just add some log in items. There aren't many apps in OS X that take a long time to load anyway. The only log in items I have are pathfinder (only because I have fully replaced the finder with it) and twitterrific. Everything else launched nearly instantaneously when clicked on for the first time. Besides if you turn off your computer when you're done with it (really unnecessary, I'm guessing you're a recent PC switcher) then you'd end up with ridiculously long start up times.

7. wesleyh thread starter macrumors 6502

Unecessary to turn of the pc? Well uh, sorry for trying to help the environment?..

Besides, this is an imac G5, and it's getting pretty slow..

8. wesleyh thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, here's my applescript:

(I set the default to no bouncing)

delay 30
    do shell script "defaults write com.apple.dock no-bouncing -bool No"
    do shell script "killall Dock"

9. wesleyh thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok for some reason the applescript doesn't work. I set the dock in system settings to not bounce, so when I run this script at startup (login item) I expect it to change the setting and kill the dock. The dock does get killed after 30 seconds, but I still see no bounces from new apps I open. Any ideas why?

10. applefan69 macrumors 6502a

applefan69

you need to edit the applescript to turn bouncing back on as you know this line:
    do shell script "defaults write com.apple.dock no-bouncing -bool No"

tells OS X to not bounce apps as they are opening.
    Well you need to ask OS X to start bouncing apps again. I dont know the code for it but i imagine it would be something like
    do shell script "defaults write com.apple.dock no-bouncing -bool Yes"
    but im no shell expert so i would wait for another member to help you on that one.

BTW, i dont think you want
    delay 30

all that line does is essentially "waits" before running the rest of the script. you want on start up for none of the apps to bounce, correct? Well then you dont need a delay you just tell it to insntantly stop bouncing upon startup.

THEN set a delay. The delay has to be long enough for all the start up items to load (so time, this on average) then tell it to make apps bounce again after the delay.

im sorry if i didnt make much sense.

11. mason.kramer macrumors 6502

mason.kramer

I don't get this. How are you saving any time with a login item? Your computer turns on. It takes just as long to load the app into ram during the login sequence as it takes to load it when you click it. You log on your computer, and the first thing you click is Safari, right? It's going to take exactly as long to load with either scenario. You can't get around this. This is just how long it takes to load Safari.

If you are in the habit of booting up and then going for coffee, then you just want the program to automatically click itself while you stir in the cream. This is called a login item. "Loading into the RAM at startup" - that's I guess your fancing way of saying "execute program at startup". Which is precisely what login items are for. Not only is it the best way, it is the only way. Any other program you use to launch items at startup will itself be launched by a login item (really a launchd dispatch).