Software that keeps Macbook Pro from charging while plugged in?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by yliu, Aug 12, 2013.

1. yliu macrumors regular

Hello,

I read that keeping the battery at full charge for a prolonged time will dramatically shorten battery life. However, I use my MBP most of the time as a desktop computer and do CPU/GPU intensive tasks therefore my laptop is almost always plugged in.

Is there a software that keeps my MBP from charging while plugged in but still allows it to run though the power supply and not the batteries?

2. simsaladimbamba

That software is already included in Mac OS X / OS X and the hardware you have.

• BATTERY INFORMATION
    • BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE
    • AC POWER
    • CALIBRATION
    • BATTERY LIFESPAN
    • CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH
    • CHARGING
    • WHAT IS A CYCLE?
    • BATTERIES ARE NOT COVERED
    • BULGING OR SWELLING BATTERY

3. yliu thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, I did a bad job describing what I want.

For example, if I know I would be plug my laptop in for the rest of the week, then I would use that software to not charge the laptop more the 80%. Once the battery is at 80%, it would stop charging and run from the charger.

Wouldn't this be better for the battery sine it's not topped off all the time?

4. simsaladimbamba

Why so complicated if the built in software does a much better job at not ****ing up your battery cycles? I linked to that ignored FAQ for a reason, if you would have read it, you would see, that what you want to do with your Mac is not necessary.

5. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

Simply run your MBP on battery power on a regular basis. It's not that tough to unplug it. You're essentially "exercising" the battery so it stays healthy. No software will do that (and I'm not aware of any that does).