Software that launches Windows Applications from Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by farqueue, Oct 5, 2007.

1. farqueue macrumors 6502

farqueue

Hi there i am looking for a programme that launches Windows Applications from Mac. I heard that this can be done without installing windows. I have heard of a couple and tried crossover, however, it wasn't too good as cs1.6 was unplayable on my fully pimped macbook.

Looking to launch:
    1. Steam
    2. Warcraft
    3. MSN Messenger
    4. MS office 2007

Thanks

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Crossover is about as good as it gets right now if you are not willing to install a real copy of Windows. If you want to play games as well as the MacBook will allow (remembering it has integrated graphics so will struggle with a lot of graphically intensive games) then you are probably best off with BootCamp and a real copy of Windows.

3. Mr Skills macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

You'll still have to install Windows, but VMWare Fusion allows you to put Windows apps on the dock and have them run without needing to "see" Windows. They work with expose, drag-and-drop and everything.

Parallels does something similar with Coherence Mode but it's not quite as elegant and transparent IMHO.

4. Blubbert macrumors 6502

I doubt that Crossover Mac will run Steam, for that one i think you might have to dualboot into windows.
    Warcraft will run on your Macbook just fine, all Blizzard CD's are combo cds that work both on PC's and Mac's.
    MSN Messenger exists as an app for OSX, or you could try Adium that does almost all forms of IMing, including AIM, MSN, ICQ and many others.
    MS Office 2007 doesnt exist for Mac's, you could wait for the new Office for Mac that is coming sometime in early 2008, or just dual boot into Windows, or run Windows as a VM.