software that utilizes nMP?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by fixxolas, Jul 16, 2014.

1. fixxolas macrumors newbie

Hi,
    Can anybody recommend alternatives for Photoshop and aperture that takes advantage of the hardware in nMP (CPU cores and dual GPU).

AFAIK photoshop and Lightroom does not.

2. chfilm macrumors 65832

chfilm

Pixelmator does afaik.
    Photoshop makes use of the GPUs for a few effects too, but it's a bad joke.

3. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

I doubt anything comparable to Photoshop that is optimized for the nMP will ever exist.

4. violst macrumors 6502

violst

The new Mac Pro has more then enough power to utilize photoshop.
    I just worked on a 7gig plus file and had no problems with it. I also on mistake resized a file to over 13gigs and I couldn't believe how easily and quickly the new Mac Pro was able to handle it.

5. golf1410 macrumors 6502a

golf1410

What is your specification of Mac Pro?

6. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

...and what were the properties of the "file"?

7. violst macrumors 6502

violst

My Mac Pros specs are in my sig. 8-core 3.0, 64gig, 256gig ssd, D500's

The 7gig layered file was 55"x65"@300ppi 8bit RGB with around 85-100 layers. It was a 3D file with multiple 3D elements and photography with all of the render passes re-composited, retouched and color corrected in photoshop to be used in oversized tradebooth graphics and banners. Because of the size of the final layered file it had to saved out as a PSB file.

The File that I mistakenly resized to over 13gigs was a flattened RGB file. I resized it based on inches instead of pixels on mistake. But I was very surprised how quickly it resized to 13gigs and how easily I was able to still manipulate the file until I had realized my mistake.

8. goMac macrumors 603

Pixelmator's underlying engine is better than Photoshop's. They're just behind in raw features.

There is no reason Photoshop shouldn't be able to take advantage of the nMP, Adobe would just need to get off their lazy asses.