Software that will entertain a 10 year old boy for hours...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mogzieee, Feb 15, 2009.

1. mogzieee macrumors 6502a

Hey guys,

I am having to go see my cousin, who is 10 years old, in a few weeks time, and I have the fortunate task of looking after / doing stuff with him all day. He likes technology, so I thought bringing my MBP along would entertain him somehow. However, I don't think many pro apps like Photoshop, Final Cut or Aperture are going to attract him, as he is 10. :p

So, my question, what programs/applications can anyone recommend that entertain my 10 year old cousin for a good few hours..? Arty... Games... doesn't really matter, so long as it's freeware (or something I can get a free trail of), and works with Leopard or XP (I run XP via VMware).

Many thanks in advance.

Moggy

2. bartelby macrumors Core

Get him to install Windows on something. I've heard that can take a few hours...;)

3. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

Take him out a do something else. I'm sure there are lots of things to do in Oxford. Go stimulate the economy with your parents money :D. If not that then get him outdoors.

Good luck,

Nuc

4. bartelby macrumors Core

There's some great museums in Oxford.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

My niece (she's 10) loves to play around with pictures of herself in iMovie. We make movies, add music etc. Keeps her occupied for hours and distracts her from wanting to play with my iPhone. :D

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    This is great idea. Take a camera along, take lots of silly shots (or play in Photobooth with the backgrounds etc) and make a movie. Let him play in Garageband to make a soundtrack for it and then encode it so he can stick it on YouTube to show his pals etc.

7. mogzieee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oxford is where I'm at, but not where my cousin is at. He's in the middle of nowhere in Devon. Good thinking though.

8. bartelby macrumors Core

I didn't take in the first sentence...:eek:

9. mogzieee thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is a good idea also... I didn't think of Photobooth! Thanks!

10. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Stick World of Warcraft on it, you'll never have to speak to him again.;)

11. ski2moro macrumors 6502

Can you get Big Fish games in the UK?

There are Mac games with one hour online demos for free.

My 10 year old neighbor especially likes the hidden objects games like Huntsville.

That said, I really like the idea of making movies, slideshows and using Garage Band better than my idea.

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I can't believe I never thought of this. I tend to forget about apps that are not in my dock. She'll love that.

13. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

A lot of kids find fun at Yahoo! Games, unless you want to avoid Internet access and stick to local applications.

One kid I entertained had a great time listening to Pokémon music in the iTunes Store!

14. mogzieee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lol, and just hope they don't slip onto the 'buy now' link... :p

15. Scooby_Doo macrumors member

Scooby_Doo

Create a goal

I think the most important thing is to have a common goal that you are working towards. Be sure that either he chooses or it's a mutual agreement. Perhaps you can do a DIY project, capture it with a camera (iPhoto edits), then create a web presence for it (iWeb).

You could make model cars, exotic food, movie green screens, simple electronics, etc.

Or you could teach them basic programming with the same sort of project based idea as above. Import pictures of your cousin, and animate him in a simple 2d side scrolling game. Tons of examples of this being done, as well as other ideas are available with great programs like MIT Scratch.

Other tools might be:
    Art Rage
    World of Goo
    Cave Story (Be sure to download the English patch). Can keep him busy for hours.

16. sigamy macrumors 65816

If he enjoys photography or movies you can make a nice few days of going out and shooting. Then you get the nice mix of being outdoors also.

Maybe make a 30 minute documentary about something he enjoys--skateboarding, facebook, his family, etc. You can interview his friends get some nice footage/photos and then put it all together in iLife. We've made a bunch of Spy Kids type movies with my nieces and my kids.

Another great app for kids is iStopMotion. http://www.boinx.com/istopmotion/overview/

Especially if he is into Legos at all. This is a huge time sink as you are doing real stop motion animation. Set up some Star Wars Legos and act out a whole scene.

17. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

He did, as a matter of fact, but the family paid me back. :eek:

18. NXTMIKE macrumors 6502

19. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

and if he get through the windows set up too quickly (I mean he's got to be smart if he's the son of a MR member) then have him set up any linksys wireless router; he will have endless entertainment resetting the router every 3 hours.

20. Sijmen macrumors 6502a

Kids seem to have a lot of fun with my app: http://dimp-animator.com. Alternately, try http://stykz.net, it's a bit more finished.

It lets you animate stick figures. Not really done yet but kids don't seem to be too picky about that.

21. Agurri macrumors 6502

Agurri

I also vote for www.instructables.com I'm sure you can find something for him, but for you too. And you can find everything : From tech, to craft to cooking. Kids love to cook !

22. mogzieee thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is so cool! Even I'm playing around with it for hours!! Thanks for sharing!

23. Sijmen macrumors 6502a

Thanks, great you like it :D. Hope your cousin also does.

24. K3mp macrumors 6502

PhotoBooth and iConquer. I got it in the macheist giving tree and all of my friends love it.

25. SimD macrumors regular

As others have said, take a camera and make videos.

Make a short film with him and maybe he'll really enjoy it. Who knows he might even want to pursue it later as a career!

I speak of experience as this is how I fell in love with film and photography :)