Software To Backup Files To Remote Location?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rs14smith, Sep 5, 2011.

1. rs14smith macrumors regular

Hey everyone,

Does anyone know of any low cost or free software that will allow me to backup certain folders/external drives on my iMac to a remote computer? Basically, it would work similar to Time Machine, however, instead of backing up my data to a "local" external drive, it would backup that data to a remote location.

I have two external drives hooked up to my computer. 1 for backing up, and 1 for all my videos. I would need the software to be able to allow me to backup any or all data on that external drive too that has my videos and not just my local iMac internal drive files.

Thanks!

2. tug macrumors 6502

dropbox is free for about a couple of gigs i think, but the size of the files your wanting to store, well its gonna cost ya, mate.

i doubt you will find any free ones out there, it would probably be cheaper to by another ext. drive.

3. jtara macrumors 65816

CrashPlan.

You can backup to your own local server, to another server over the Internet, or (subscription) their cloud service.

There are free and paid versions. The paid version is now "free" with a subscription.

4. rs14smith thread starter macrumors regular

I have 2 different computers. For example, my iMac is in Tennessee, and my spare computer is in Florida. Couldn't I just turn my computer that's in Florida into a personal basic server, and all it would do is make copies of the data on my computer in Tennessee?

5. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Not exactly, you need some sort of server software to do the cloning or backing up for you.

You can turn on SSH on your macs (assuming they are both macs, but they don't have to be), and then use RSync to copy the files over.

A simple command in terminal will help you keep the files synced.

THere are some GUI tools, they're ok, but the authentication to get them to run automatically is kind of a pain.

The easiest route by far is Crash Plan as suggested by someone else above.

For backing up from your system to your remote system (not using their "cloud" service ) it's free. Can't beat free.

Check it out, it's cross platform, Mac, Windows, and Linux.

6. rs14smith thread starter macrumors regular

Wait, you are saying DropBox sync software is completely free if you do not use their cloud service? The only options I see for free is the 2GB option which includes the cloud part of it. Is there another area on their site for what you are talking about?

Update: Sorry I see you are talking about CrashPlan not DropBox, I'll check that out.