Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gavin_d

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2015
Hi guys. I am really struggling today. I have 40gb of pictures from over the years that i want to sort through and get on to my mac. Ive got them on an external hard drive. I want to import them into a normal folder on mac and not the iPhotos app.

Is there any way in doing this? I can only seem to get option of import through the iPhotos app.

I copied them all into a folder on my desktop earlier and was going into each folder and copying them over into another folder, so i have one big folder of pics. However while doing this i kept getting a warning saying that some of the pics are named the same, options i get is keep or cancel i think. I need to keep all pictures as they are of my three children when they where young. Also it says that some of the pics are locked. Why is this?

Thanks for the help guys.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Hi light all the files and ctrl click them. Select rename and a menu will pop up. It's very self explanatory.

Gavin_d

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2015
But do i have to rename one by one because it will take me forever. Thanks

Gavin_d

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2015
Thanks guys!! big help. Does anybody know what i can do with the locked pictures?

JohnDS

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2015
No idea why or how your pictures got locked, but if there are not too many, you should be able to unlock them by right-clicking on a locked one and choosing GetInfo, then uncheck the lock button.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.