Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shreedhan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
Hi

I'm looking on freeing up space on my HDD by converting my many 700Mb AVI files into 300Mb MKV files as lots of people do nowadays.

Can anyone suggest software? VisualHub doesn't do it and Handbrake doesn't accept non-DVD (or similar) sources.

Cheers

Shreedhan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
A quick google search turned this up: http://www.riverpast.com/en/support/tutorials/convert/avi/mkv.php
I haven't used their software before, and it seems to be Windows-only, but you can take a look at it

Lol I'm not a moron, I did search google. The whole point I asked is incase someone knows of Mac software, since afterall this is a Mac forum and this thread was started in the Mac Applications section of the forum. So what good is Windows software to me?

Thanks though. No offence intended.

ionlygreat

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2008
None taken. I'm not aware of any Mac software that does this, and as you didn't seem to have got any other replies, I thought I'd throw this option out there. I said I'd done a google search so that you would realise that I'm not recommending this software from personal experience, but if it's not going to be useful to you then disregard it as it might be to someone else down the line.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.