Software to convert VHS to Digital?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by majordude, Jan 18, 2008.

1. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

I borrowed a friend's Sony MiniDV. (Do they even make these anymore?!) I want to convert some old VHS movies to digital. I think I can use the "pass thou" feature to do so.

Right? :confused:

Three questions...

1. What the hell is an i.LINK cable and where can I buy one?
    2. Will iMovie accept the input and save it as a file I can edit... then make DVDs, crop and upload to YouTube, etcetera?
    3. If money were no object, am I better off using Adobe Premier or Apple Final Cut (or Final Cut Express)?

THANKS! :D

2. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

iLink is sonys name for firewire, you can use imovie with a firewire cam, which is free on ya computer

3. majordude thread starter macrumors 68020

majordude

Well, maybe the i.LINK end is Firewire but the other is iDV which looks tiny. Is that a standard connection too?

4. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

yes thats right, i think its 6 pin (firewire 400) to 4 pin (looks like small usb often in cameras and phones) imovie will see the camera and you should be able to control it from imovie, if you have imovie 08 you can directly upload to youtube (itll take a while to convert 1st) dont look at pro video editing until you have fully mastered something like imovie, steep learning curve.

5. majordude thread starter macrumors 68020

majordude

Can I get that cable at Staples or is that asking too much? :rolleyes:

6. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

maybe not, wouldnt know where to point you to if your in america, apple storesstock them, if not a video/camera store or general electronics.