Software to create a bootable disk image????

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nigelivy, Apr 24, 2009.

1. nigelivy macrumors member

Hi,

I need to create a bootable image. I have a ISO file, and need to create a bootable image to install software onto one of my servers. Is there software out there for a Mac that will allow me to create a bootable image?
    Thanks for any input,

Nigel

2. magamo macrumors 6502

Disk Utility does the job. It comes with your Mac. Go to Applications -> Utilities.

3. nigelivy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the input, Magamo! ;)

I have managed to create a bootable disk image using the ISO image I had, onto a CD and DVD using Disk Utility. Is there a way to create a bootable disk image using the same ISO image onto a USB Flash Drive? Will Disk Utility do this? If not, is there other software out there that will?

4. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

You can create a bootable Flash dive using unetbootin, but it's only for Linux or Windows, and frankly the Linux version is kind of buggy.

Don't know if there's a way to do it in Mac OS X.

5. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

I believe intel macs can boot from a USB stick but powerPC macs like G5s and below can't.

I'm guessing it's just a case of having a large enough Memory Stick (8Gb I'm guessing would be enough for the equivalent space of a dual layer DVD) and then using the "restore" feature of disk utility to make an exact copy of your disk image to the USB Memory Stick.

6. magamo macrumors 6502

It seems burning an iso onto a USB flash drive can be tricky on OS X. I'm sorry if neither Disk Utility nor dd works. I don't know any other way.

7. steffi macrumors 6502a

Yes booting from USB Flash isn't the same as USB Hard drive on Macs. I think the reason has something to do with EFI. For instance if you want Linux to boot from USB Flash you need to have a Boot CD in place unless you're using this EFI Grub thing that's still experimental.