Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I'm wanting to learn to speak Spanish and was wondering if anyone could recommend some inexpensive Mac software. I have a Windows version of something, but I don't have Windows on my Mac, and not much room on my HDD to install it, so I'm wanting a Mac one.

I've looked around online, and, honestly, it's a bit confusing without actually trying out the software.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Check out the Education section on the iTMS podcast directory. There's loads of Learn Spanish podcasts which are free (as for several other languages for those that are interested).

I've also used the Transparent Language courses in the past, which are quite good for learning the verb forms and some idioms. If you get used to hearing the common conjugations your understanding when people speak to you goes through the roof :)

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Thanks! I never even thought of that!

My main reason is because I've been applying with different companies and that's one of the questions I always have to check No on. I never really thought it mattered, but, if it will help me to land a better job, or better pay, I'll do it.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Oh definitely, here in Europe as well as where you are. You're quite lucky in that Spanish is probably the easiest of the Latin languages to learn. It's very logical in construction. Once you've got the basics start listening to Spanish language radio and things will just fall into place before you know it.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I took 2 years of it in High School, got good grades, but really didn't retain anything. I can sort of listen to someone, if they speak slowly, but that's the extent that I have.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
In that case practice with the podcasts and don't bother with the software. Spend the money on a couple of books and a spanish/english dictionary. Best of luck.

Danekero

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2011
rosetta stone maybe?
maybe a month in an spanish speaking country?
GL

Yeah I'd suggest Rosetta Stone. It's a really intuitive course and even from the start helps support all levels of skill.

It costs money, but I'd say it's worth it.

nastebu

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2008
And definitely sign up at mylanguageexchange.com

I've had good luck finding language exchange partners for Japanese there.

Going from English to Spanish really is much easier than most other languages. The grammar is very very similar and a lot of the vocabulary are cognates. Good luck!

Danekero

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2011
How much is Rosetta Stone?

It's pretty steep at $299 per level, with discounts as you increase in level and the full course costing $749. It certainly isn't for everybody, but as far as the course itself goes, I was impressed at how well it actually teaches you.

http://www.rosettastone.com/learn-spanish

It really depends on what you can afford and what learning techniques you prefer. As mentioned before, there are a few other options that are MUCH cheaper, and I'm not advocating anybody spending $700 on something they don't think they need. :p Before making the purchase, I'd definitely check out demos online, or use the trial on that link. I was included in a group course - if it had been just me paying for it I might not have invested that much in it.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
It's pretty steep at $299 per level, with discounts as you increase in level and the full course costing $749. It certainly isn't for everybody, but as far as the course itself goes, I was impressed at how well it actually teaches you.

That is way too much money.

iLoveLingo.com

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2011
iLoveLingo's Spanish Course

Since it's related to what we do I thought I'd give you a quick presentation of our Spanish course which is available for multiple platforms (iPhone, iPad, Mac OS X, HP/Palm, W7, etc).

It starts from the very basics and quickly moves you along during 10 lessons.

It's not as steep as Rosetta (between 15-20 USD depending on platform), but is actual course, ie. not just flash-cards, etc.

Here is a quick overview if you are interested:

iLoveLingo Spanish Course for Mac

YouTube-video of iLoveLingo Spanish Course

Cheers,
Daniel

Last edited:

MacUser09

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2009
UK
I know that you asked for software, but you should also search on Youtube for "Learn Spanish" videos. Also Podcasts in iTunes.
You may even find teachers that give lessons via Skype.

Hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.